Lazy Man's Smoke Box

Started by West Coast Kansan, November 17, 2007, 06:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

I have been looking for a nice simple set up to replace the cardboard box and dryer hose approach to cold smoking.

Mr. Walleye, Stickbowcrafter et.al. like you guys - dont read any further. :-[   ::)

Walmart had a seasonal sale and i pick up the last of these smokers. I think $59 or $69. The idea of coarse was to mount the generator to this box and connect the vent to the Bradley input with something more permanent looking than the vent stuff.

The bottom of this thing has a circle cut out for the propane burner. I ignored installing that burner and just set it on top of the Bradley. Used some sticky back weatherstrip on the bottom just to keep from scratching the Bradley top. No seal is really necessary. 

This set up in the shade is real stable on temps. The DBS with puck burner only is running about 134 with no sun / wind / and 61 degrees near the coast in SD. The Smokey Mountain is flat lined at 68 degrees - all per ETs.  This with no ice anywhere and nothing being smoked.

Will try the sunshine test tomorrow but looks good and if it gets hot I can miss install the legs to provide some more seperation. Lots of shelves for ice as well. If I want a propane heat - smoker (  :P ) as it turns out this will sit real nice on top of my propane deep fat fryer. 

Nothing wrong with the card board box etc. Just wanted something different. I think I am pleased  ;D  but will know more later.     ???
Took photo with my phone but the smoke is real nice and consistent just like coming out of the DBS vent.  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

La Quinta

WCK...let me know how it comes out...as you can imagine, we are a bit challenged out here with cold smoking, other then maybe 2 months a year...if it works...could be something we may be able to use more often. The concept is brilliant though!! And...you have a propane smoker to boot!!! :)

Mr Walleye

Looks good WCK! That's a steal of price too!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Definately looks promising WCK, and a good price too, be interesting to see how it performs  ;)

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SKSmoker

What a great idea! Good stuff!!
Lead by example

Stickbowcrafter

Nice WCK! Glad I disregarded your advice to stop reading  ;D Great idea and it looks kind of cool stacked up like that. Lets people know you take your smoking seriously  ;) Some smokers like two packs a day  ::)

-Brian