OBS Temp control

Started by Payson, December 20, 2007, 04:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payson

Help, it seems as if my temp. control slide has stopped working. If the unit is plugged in then it's full on. Previously I could go from off to full on by using the slide rheostat. The power indicator light would correspondingly go from off to fully glowing. Now it's just fully glowing regardless. I'm guessing the little rheostat circuit board has burnt out? I took a look at it and didn't notice anything that was obviously burnt or out of whack. As luck would have it I need to "air dry" a ham for Christmas at about 110F and I can't get the heat that low. Just using the smoke generator alone will exceed that temp. Has anyone had this problem before? Thankfully it's under warranty so I'm not worried about it getting resolved, maily concerned about cooking my freshly cured ham. Assuming 200F-250F is about as low as I can currently go. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I "dry" the ham in the fridge and then smoke at 200 until done? Will the results be good? I plan to finish it in the oven with a glaze. I basically need to smoke it and then let it age until Christmas. Help....help...
Thanks in advance!

Habanero Smoker

If it is fully cured, you can leave it in the fridge uncovered overnight that will help dry it out. I would also put it on the kitchen counter for 2-4 hours and use a fan to help dry it; just prior to placing it in the smoker. With the nitrites and salts that the ham has absorbed, you won't have to worry about any bacteria problems.

If this is your first ham that you are smoking, don't get nervous if the outer layer of the ham feels like leather whey you take it out of the smoke. I will moisten up when you finish cooking it in an oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Payson

Thanks Hab! This is my 3rd ham actually. I hate to deviate from a successful plan! I managed to dry it last night so I think I'm on track for a success. I called Bradley about the temp control but haven't yet heard back. I guess the holiday's and all.... maybe I'll e-mail them.