Where can I find Turbinado sugar & Kosher salt?

Started by SmokinMoe, November 05, 2004, 12:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I found Kosher salt in flakes (like what they put on Margarita glass rims) is this what I am looking for when I want to use it in a rub?
Also, I can't seem to find turbinado sugar.  
I have gone to wholespice.com and gourmetstore.com
I can't find any sites that sell turbinado sugar.
Any suggestions or other sites that sell the salt, sugar and the spices all on one site?  I rather buy everything at once and not pay multiple shipping.
Thanks,
Michelle
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

nsxbill

I bought mine at a grocery store in the sugar section here in California.  I would just call around and see if they have it at one of the stores in your area.  The salt in a big blue box with the regular salt section.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

call butcher &packer 1-800-521-3188 or butcher-packer.com for your surger and just about anything, one of the most common surger used for meat is dextrose , its a corn surger $0.65 a pound

Chez Bubba

Michelle,

If you live within 15 minutes of your local supermarket, they probably have Turbinado sugar. You just need to look hard or ask, I take that back, look hard.

It's sometimes called "Sugar in the Raw" and usually comes in a box, not a bag.

If I remember correctly, someone once explained to me that it was important for diabetics because it wasn't processed & wouldn't affect them as negatively. That's why it is usually readily available.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Kosher Salt, bottom shelf at WalleyWorld under the spices.  Bought some last week.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SmokinMoe

You guys are terrific.  I went to Walmart and just decided to look and see if they had it.  You were right, sugar in the raw, and I read the box, and poof, it was Turbinado sugar!! Looked by the salt, and poof, there was Kosher salt.  Unbelievable. I have never seen them and I guess it was because I never knew to look for them.
Going to get the rest of my spices at Sam's and am contemplating trying the Bradley tomorrow.
Thanks for helping me out,
Michelle

BigSmoker

SmokinMoe,
While your at Sams check out the pork butts, brisket, ribs and forget the contemplating and smoke somethin' good.

I have been buying turbinado in bulk for some time now for business reasons but I seem to remember Kroger sells Dixie Crystal brand and its usually about .40 a pack less than the one in the box[;)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SmokinMoe

Well, I don't have a thermometer yet.  I ordered the guru competitior with the raptor, but, a week later, still it hasn't shipped. I don't want to go buy one just to have until that comes in.  So, my concern is that I won't know the temp. of the meat and we get sick, thus, I would have to sell the Bradley.
I got sick on BBQ as a child down in TX.  I don't think it was the BBQ, but I had a heat stroke and ate BBQ and I think it just didn't mix right.  Nonetheless, it took me over 15 years to want to eat BBQ again, and still to this day, I have to seriously think about it to eat it.  So, I don't want to blow my smoking days in the first batch by not getting it cooked.  Know what I mean?  
Just collecting my stash as I go.

MallardWacker

Moe,

Go down to Kroger's or WalleyWorld and buy yourself a cheap "InstaTemp" thermometer, it looks like a nail that has a guage on top of it. 2-3$$$, or there may be some cheaper ones to get you by.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

SmokinMoe,
IMHO you might need a digital thermometer as well.  The guru only has one temp guage.  What if you are smokin more than one thing at different levels?  I have a polder brand(I think it was 19.99) and several insta temp deals.  With an insta temp one position it so you can shine a flashlight down the vent opening and read the temp without opening the door.  Sorry about the Texas incident[:0][:(][V][xx(]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.