My 1st Belly Bacon

Started by NewBlood, November 20, 2007, 02:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewBlood

I've been lurking here for a while and decided to pull the trigger and make some bacon. I went to the butcher and got a fresh side and used MTQ and DBS for my cure. I cured for 7 days and rinsed for 2 hours then put it back in a new ziplock with 1/4 cup each maple syrup and apple cider. I let it sit overnight then rinsed again and smoked on apple wood for 4 hours until it reached 165. This has to be the best bacon I have ever had. I cant wait to try this with a loin.
FRESH SIDE

JUST OUT OF THE CURE

SMOKING

DONE

SLICED

La Quinta

HOLY MOLY....that looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing!!! I'm getting ready to try my first belly!!!

Habanero Smoker

NewBlood;
Welcome to the forum.

That does look good. Did you use a hand slicer to slice the bacon? I generally only take my bacon to either 137°F, or 152°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NewBlood

It was hand sliced with an electric knife. I took the temp a little higher than I wanted. The fat started to render a little at that temp so next time I think I will pay more attention.

Mr Walleye

NewBlood

Ya did yourself proud!  8)

That bacon looks absolutely fantastic!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Arcs_n_Sparks

NewBlood,

Very nice....

Arcs_n_Sparks

Hatdance

WOW!  That is beautiful - nicely done.  I have my first belly in the fridge as we speak.  Hope mine looks as appetizing as yours does!

How much MTQ and brown sugar did you use for how much meat?

Congrats.

West Coast Kansan

very pretty finish, looks great  8)

Is that a smokey mountian smoker  ???

Some great breakfasts and sandwich adds in anycase  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I thought it was hand sliced, because my bacon won't fit in the length of my slicer. You did a great job slicing. Next time I will try my electric knife. In the past I've used hand slicer, electric slicers, and always ended with second rate results. Time to dust of the electric knife. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NewBlood

I used 1 Tbs MTQ to 2 Tbs DBS
and yeah its a Smokey Mountain smoker...I've been a lurker for a while just looking for good recipes and smoking techniques. Hope I didnt offend anyone by not being a Bradley Smoker guy.

Quote from: Hatdance on November 20, 2007, 06:08:39 PM
WOW!  That is beautiful - nicely done.  I have my first belly in the fridge as we speak.  Hope mine looks as appetizing as yours does!

How much MTQ and brown sugar did you use for how much meat?

Congrats.

Mr Walleye

Although the majority here have a BS there are alot of people here that have other types of smokers as well. I don't think you will find a nicer, more knowledgeable group of people and I wouldn't worry about what your smokin' on.

Hey.... it's clearly workin' for ya!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

NewBlood, Welcome in anycase. Share your experiences - I can learn from anyone.  I thought I recognized the shelves. I just got a SM to use as a cold box.  Works real well so far.  I may go ahead and rig it to mount an extra Bradley smoke generator - without the propane of coarse.  The SM box is sized and has the huge opening in the bottom that would let me use my deep fryer burner stand. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Duster

looks good! ya gota love bacon. I have a 300LB hog hanging right now and we are gonna try some homemade sausage and bacon real soon.

MallardWacker

NewBlood....

You have reach a level only a few of us has tasted....that my friend is some great looking stuff.  If everyone would try that I am afraid that the Bradley would be renamed The Bradley Bacon Maker.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

NewBlood

Well since this 8lbs is almost gone (3lbs left)...I put a 3lb loin in cure. I'm going to give it the full 21 day treatment and see what happens. I have given enough samples out here at work that I'm going to have to make another batch of bellies before Christmas. This time its going to be more like 30lbs.