new and want to be informed

Started by armpower, November 25, 2007, 02:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armpower

hello everone i am a new bradley owner.   my first smoker, a bradley digital 4 rack,   got lucky and found one in the cabellas bargen cave. ;D     i will be seasoning this week and try my luck on sat for the first time.  i think i will most likely try chicken.     but long term am looking forward to jerky and sausage, due to the fact that i hunt alot and have wild game to make things out of.     any tips you are willing to share i am willing to learn.   look forward to getting to know all of you.

ps could not figure out how to spell check :(

La Quinta

Don't worry about spell check Armpower!!! Welcome to the "family"!!!

Consiglieri

First, Welcome!  Based on past experience, I think you'll be adding this website to your favorites.  Although the search function has its limitations, you'll be able to find a number of ideas for smoking techniques and other cooking projects.  When you search, make sure you do so from the home screen.  For some reason, that seems to make for the best search results.

A couple of ideas for you:

1.  When you smoke foods using the Bradley, only a portion of the cooking time is devoted to burning pucks.  Most people will apply smoke for 4 hours or less, even for a 12 hour smoking project.  Overall smoking (as opposed to cooking time) is a matter of personal taste.  For larger projects, like pulled pork, I will smoke for 4 hours out of the 14 or so it takes to cook the meat.  For babyback ribs, I'll smoke for 2 hours 20 minutes out of the 5 to 6 hours the project will take.  For chicken, I wouldn't apply smoke for more that 1 hour.  Birds tend to suck up the smoke flavor quicker and too much is way too much.  Check recipes to see how long a project will take and how long smoke was applied (adjust smoke to your personal taste).

2.  The temp guage on the Bradley is one of its shortcomings.  Most here will recommend that you get a remote digital thermometer.  I think most here use the Maverick ET 73, which has two probes: one to monitor meat temps and one to monitor box temps. The Maverick has some shortcomings too (the on/off switch is the main one that comes to mind), but it does a good job and will sound alarms when your smoker goes too hot or too cold or your meat temp has been hit.

3.  Look into obtaining a couple of metal pucks (bubba pucks) so that you don't have to waste two bisquettes each time you do a smoke. 

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and have fun!
Consiglieri

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  Other than what was mentioned above, all I can recommend is that you have patience, experiment, and have fun.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

armpower

thanks for all the input and the welcomes i hope to become a regular poster on the board

begolf25

hillbillysmoker

If you want an easy and outstanding chicken recipe to start with, I recommend Old's Bacon Wrapped Chicken Rolls. It was my first smoke way back when, and is still a favorite. I would include a link to the recipe in case you're interested. Have fun.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome armpower, you'll enjoy using your new Bradley  ;)

Chicken is always good as a first smoke

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

Welcome armpower. You'll have fun here.

Ontrack

Weclome armpower. All I can suggest is to go back and read old posts like I did and learn from many experts. There is more information on this forum than you can take in at one time, so just read when you get a chance and ask any questions you may have. Congratulations on your Bradley purchase and let these smoking "pros" show you the way to many delicious meals!

mics

welcome,you can never stop reading and learning here.good smokin for ya
fishin and cookin,must be gettin ready to retire.gamefishin.

armpower

thanks everyone.   is there a place to read and learn what wood works best for what?

thanks

Wildcat

Quote from: armpower on November 29, 2007, 08:25:43 AM
thanks everyone.   is there a place to read and learn what wood works best for what?

thanks

Generally it is a matter of taste, but yes - there are numerous posts on this forum with recommendations, trials and error, etc.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

This site has a good guideline of what wood goes with different meats and vegetable.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26

While you are there you should check out the rest of the site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Welcome armpower, this is a great place for information.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"