Italian Sausage

Started by dennbq, November 05, 2004, 08:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennbq

Has anyone had experience with using the Bradley to make Italian sausages like sopressato or prosciuto?  (Excuse the spelling)

BigSmoker

dennbq,
I have bought the prociutto for many different dishes and I believe they are hams of some kind. If they are ham, ham=cure=Mallards maple canadian style bacon and Mallards jalapeno canadian style bacon.  Check under curing topic.  I think the prociutto is the picnic cut of pork but I'm not sure..[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<font size="3"><font color="red">sopressata </font id="red"></font id="size3"> is not smoked. It is not cooked. Sopressata is raw, like most of what you will find in Italy. It is a dry cure sauage. If you live where trichinosis is a problem, contact your local health people to make sure what you are doing is safe.

I suggest doing a search on dry Salami first as it might be a good place to begin your search. I do know that much lard is used in sopressata.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

St. Helens Smoker

If I remember correctly, Procuitto is a salt and sugar packed air-cured ham, and if memory serves me right it is not smoked either....just cured and hung and is very climate oriented. That's what I seem to recall anyhow, for whatever its worth...but love the stuff

jaeger

dennbq,

I agree with Olds and St.Helens, although, with the Bradley you could turn out some great pepperoni or salami. I think to make a real,dry salami you will again get into a time intensive drying period. Another proven winner with the Bradley would be to make your own Canadian Bacon if you would be interested in something like that.
   Another item that comes to mind that is similar, is what we call in this neck of the woods - Cottage Bacon. It is a boneless pork butt, cured, pressed (my idea is to press by tying between two racks) and smoked to a fully cooked internal temp. This item can then be consumed cold or warmed. When it is sliced, it looks a lot like procuttio, though again, it is fully cooked.
 Just a few ideas for you to chew over.

Let us know what you decide to take on!!![:)][:D][:)]

Doug

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If I remember correctly, Procuitto is a salt and sugar packed air-cured ham, and if memory serves me right it is not smoked either....just cured and hung and is very climate oriented. That's what I seem to recall anyhow, for whatever its worth...but love the stuff<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Man do I agree with you!!! I get the second and top grades depending upon what I'm going to be doing with it....

In fact just for chits and giggles I have for a few months thought about doing my own Procutto ham.  The problem for me is not in the knowing...it is getting the correct piece of meat. One that was raise correctly, fed correctly and dressed correctly.

Get the wrong piece and you might just as well be calling Duck, a dark Chicken.

Later when I get time I will post how to make the best sandwich you could with Procuitto ham as part of the items.  I will supply pictures too~~! BTW this sandwich is anything but cheap....I average $20 bucks per sandwich...but it is food for the Gods!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

St. Helens Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Later when I get time I will post how to make the best sandwich you could with Procuitto ham as part of the items. I will supply pictures too~~! BTW this sandwich is anything but cheap....I average $20 bucks per sandwich...but it is food for the Gods!
Olds<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Look forward to it Olds...timing sounds perfect, headed North tomorrow and have an acquaintance that runs a German Deli/Restaurant...was gonna load up on Procuitto and Panchetta while I was there....and what ever that German veal wurst that I can't either spell or pronounce.....but I can sure eat it by the ton[:D]

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and what ever that German veal wurst that I can't either spell or pronounce.....but I can sure eat it by the ton[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Would that be Weisswurst, by any chance?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, dennbq . . . looking forward to hearing about your  ham and sausage experieces [:p]!  Did you pick your lucky number for the big raffle yet?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sopressata is raw, like most of what you will find in Italy.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not just Italy, but a lot of Europe, especially France!  I found out the hard way last October in Paris.  I bought a "saucisse" at a local market, and assumed it was cured. Had some for lunch, then left it at room temp (cheap hotel, no frig) and had some the next day for an afternoon snack. I think that's the new definition of STUPID . . . Well, around 10PM I had the worst case of food poisoning you could have--lasted a couple of hours, put me off my feed the next day, and almost kept me from drinking more wine the next evening [:D]!  Took an incredible ribbing from my friends, being a scientist and all . . . only excuse I could come up with was that I was a molecular biologist, not a microbiologist!

John
Newton MA

P.S.--if some of you are thinking "this is the guy who helped write the Curing and Brining section???", don't worry--I keep my professional and personal lives separate . . . and remember:  good judgement comes from experience; unfortunately, experience comes from bad judgement. [:)]
John
Newton MA