Some kind of rub etc. for bacon ?

Started by Dalby Spook, November 26, 2007, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi folks,

I'm taking delivery of a couple of 6lb bacon loins soon. I've done some before in the BS and it was pretty good ( 8 hours cold with oak) but not outstanding. Is there any kind of rub/flavouring I can put on maybe like mollases or honey?
I know I should cure them myself and add flavourings then, but I had a bad experience with a ham some years ago and damned near poisoned myself.
So I leave it to the butcher to do.

Cheers
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

Stickbowcrafter

Check your local book stores or on-line and get the books Charcuterie and Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing. There is nothing unsafe about any of these processes unless you do not follow a few simple rules. Get one or both of the books and you'll gain a whole new understanding. All of the countless recipes I've done from both books have been darn near perfect.

-Brian

SKSmoker

HILLBILLY BACON (Butt-Roast Bacon)

1 Boneless pork butt roast
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup Morton's Tender Quick**
1/2 Cup honey (maple syrup or molasses can be substituted)

** If you use Prague powder #1 or Modern Cure you use 3 oz. with 1 cup of pickling salt
If you use Morton's TenderQuick you omit the pickling salt.

Mix the brown sugar and Tender Quick thoroughly. Slice the roast in half horizontally.
Thoroughly coat both halves with the sugar/Tender Quick mixture and rub in well.
Shake off the excess and put the roasts into large plastic ziplock bags.
Put in the refrigerator for 6-7 days to cure.
On the 3rd day pour off any pooled liquid, flip the bag over and return to the fridge.
On the last day remove the meat from the bag and rinse thoroughly in cold water.
Soak in cold water for 2 hours to remove some of the saltiness.
After soaking remove and pat dry with paper towels.
Heat the honey, molasses or maple syrup, just enough to thin and brush on the meat.
Smoke at 200 deg F. until reaching 140 deg F in the thickest part.
Cool in the fridge. When ready to eat, slice to your desired thickness and use as
you would regular bacon.

Suggested smoking wood: hickory, cherry, apple, pecan or oak.

Darrel I make bacon all the time and allways have calls for it it is a verry simple bacon I dry cure it I use a ham & bacon cure from Canada Compound I know they have a store in TO. I rub the pork belleys down with the cure put it in plastic thbs and in the fridge for 4 days then turn it all over and rib it down with brown suggar and back in the fridge for 3 more days rince off soak for 1/2 hr. and into the cooker at about 200* for around 3 hrs till it is around 130* then cool and slice This makes a really good bacon and it is easey to do.
Hope this helps some. I find the dry cure a lot nicer and easer.
Also I put 1x1 strips of maple wood in the bottom of the tubs to keep it out of the juce Cafurel making the maple strips as I run my thumb into my table saw last fall making mine. But sold the doctor 5 lbs of bacon while he was sewing it up now he wants more bacon will do any thing to get a customer
Barry

http://www.bbqtalk.ca/BarryBacon.htm

His bacon is quite revered in the bbq circle!
Lead by example

Dalby Spook

Thanks for all that guys. Manxman has posted a link to a good supplier of cures so I,ll take the plunge when I've eaten this batch.

One thing that puzzles me is that you U.S./Canadian guys hot smoke your bacon where we Brits cold smoke. Is yours essentially fully cooked?
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

manxman

QuoteThanks for all that guys. Manxman has posted a link to a good supplier of cures so I,ll take the plunge when I've eaten this batch.

One thing that puzzles me is that you U.S./Canadian guys hot smoke your bacon where we Brits cold smoke. Is yours essentially fully cooked?

Hi John, sorry missed your post first time around. The link I posted does have good cures and you could then perhaps follow the "hillbilly bacon" recipe if so inclined using supracure.

To date I have only used cure without any additions, other tip is to make sure you get good pork to start with. I have tried it with an "el cheapo" supermarket special offer and certainly noticed the difference to spending a bit more and buying good meat.

Yes, when I first came across the US/Canadian hot smoked version on the forum it puzzled me too, as far as I can see it is cooked. Not been tempted to go down that route.........  yet  ;)
Manxman

Bad Flynch

A word of caution for you.

Many years ago, I made Honey Bacon and it was very good. However, it's high sugar content required that I cook it very slowly and over even heat, else the bacon would burn easily, carmelize, and taste bitter.
B.F.

Stickbowcrafter

Dalby, all depends on your definition of "hot smoke". I smoke my bacon in a 135 degree smoker and slowly bring the internal temp up to 128 degrees. Obviously at those temps it's not fully cooked, I keep slabs on hand to slice and fry or to cook and use in recipes as needed.

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

One in a while I will cold smoke bacon. For me hot smoking gives it a different texture that I like, and a flavor more unique then I can get if I cold smoke it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Interesting discussion. I have only ever tried cold smoked bacon which has included Canadian Maple Cure cold smoked (commercial, not home smoked) but never the hot smoked HS mentioned or the "half way" option SBC alluded to.

So much to do.... so little time!!  >:(
Manxman