mr walleye

Started by tlh178, December 03, 2007, 01:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlh178

thats is a fine looking walleye you have there my freind. i have a 12 1/2 lber in a glass coffee table that i took on lake huron. i live on the sagainaw bay during the summer and winter months. do you have a special method for smoking your eyes in the dbs. i use a apple jiuce brine for mine, as i don't really care for salt in my diet. terrry

Mr Walleye

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum.

The one in the photo was 13.1 lbs and was caught at Last Mountain Lake here in Saskatchewan. It's still swimmin', providing nobody else caught it. We get a fair amount each year over 10 lbs, although that's my biggest to date. Believe it or not I have never smoked walleye before.  ??? Not sure why because I always have them available. I would be interested in your recipe for sure.

Saginaw Bay on Lake Huron has some pretty good walleye fishing for sure. I'm also fortunate because we have some fantastic fishing within 1.5 hours of home. We fish a few tourneys each year, would like to do more but time is always a factor.

Mike

PS
I bet that coffee table mount looks awsome!  ;)

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tlh178

its a rather simple thing, we take whole fillets and soak them in apple juice for 24 hrs, then i wired them into two racks, using small wire to fasten them together. then i air dry them in front of a regular room fan, for maybe an hour, so they are not dripping all over the dbs. then i use an alder chip at 160 for 4 hrs, smoking the whole time. after each hour i will brush on honey and brown sugar. its a very sweet tasting delight. same as you, i fish alot of tournys on the big pond and truly enjoy meeting guys on the tourny ports that we travel. life is good and thanks for the welcome to this great site. terry p.s. i do flip my racks every hour also to keep from over doing one side.

Smoking Duck

Stupid question here Terry......do you keep the skin on when smoking or is it completely filleted?

Thanks!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Thanks Terry

Sounds good! I'm not real big on the sweet stuff but I bet you could do the same thing with a little different mop sauce. Thanks for sharing.

Marc

I would think the skin would be off because of how he sandwiches it between two racks. I'm assuming this is so it doesn't fall apart while flipping it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tlh178

yes the skin is taking off and yes its very sweet. but you have never had fish like this, its more like fish candy. where i'm from you can get a two man limit in 1 hr. so the frezzer always full of eyes, hagd, terry