Real stupid Newb Questions

Started by Smoking Duck, December 02, 2007, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Sorry for the "Duh" factors in these ones......

When seasning your new DBS, does it matter how much the vents are open?  The guide calls for heating it to 150* for an hour with one hour of smoke.  Is that enough?  I've read on here that the guide that comes with the smoker isn't necessarily the best source, so figured I'd cme to the experts.

TIA,

Smoking Duck

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

There are no stupid questions.  ;)

Ya don't know if you don't ask.  ;)

I would leave the vent about 1/2 open or so. You want it to vent the smoke out because it will initially be burning of the various protective oils from the manufacturing process. I don't think the temp is that important but I would set it to 150 to 200 degrees for 1 & 1/2 hours or so. Plus this gives you time to see how everything works, how the smoke generator cycles, etc.

Have fun

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Thanks Mike....ironically, while I was waiting for an answer, I was admiring your setup in your garage.  Besides being a connoiseur of the finest freshwater fish (IMO), you are, as my friends down south would say, a dad gum genius.  I am going to try and emulate that in my garage this winter.  Well done!

Marc

Mr Walleye

Thanks Marc, I'm blushing!  ::)

The garage setup really works well for me. We have long winters and lots of wind here in Saskatchewan so I wanted a setup that would not be effected by it.

Mike

Smoking Duck

Well, I have mine outside seasoning now as we speak.....the wife wants me to start cooking something like right now.  Never thought it would be my wife being more impatient than me with the smoker, but I like it! ;D  Gonna season it for approximately 2 hours.  Now, gotta send her to the market for a nice 8 lb Boston Butt.  Think pulled pork will be my first experiment on Tuesday or Thursday.

Wildcat

Good first smoke choice.  Very forgiving.  You must have patience as it normally takes some time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Thanks all!  Got the seasoning done.....am I strange or does even the seasoning of a new BDS smell absolutely awesome?  Anyways, seasoned it up with Alder and I just sat outside under the porch (unusually warm of around 50* today although it was rainy) with my Lab, Steeler, and drank beer as we both took in the great smell of the alder.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 02, 2007, 02:43:32 PM
Anyways, seasoned it up with Alder and I just sat outside under the porch (unusually warm of around 50* today although it was rainy) with my Lab, Steeler, and drank beer as we both took in the great smell of the alder.

Ya gotta love that! It just doesn't get any better!  8)

Mike

iceman

Ditto that Walleye. To bad it's sit in the smoke house instead of the porch right now though. I just got the smokers moved to the new winter home. It's not going to be finished until spring but I can keep out of the weather and still smoke this winter. I'll have to get pictures of the work in progress of what Ann refers to as "The Bradley House"  :D

Mr Walleye

Absolutely, pictures pllleeeaaase Pat!  ;)

I would love to see the work in progress as I'm sure others would!  8)

Mike

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

La Quinta

Hey Smokin Duck....you and the "little woman" are gonna have a great time with this smoker! My husband and I sit outside and drink beer (well I do) he's a whiskey boy.... and just sniff smoke!!! Life is sweet!!! Neighbors often wander over to see what's going on!!! (Gotta love that!!) Have fun...thats what life is about!!! :)

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on December 03, 2007, 08:34:21 PM
Hey Smokin Duck....you and the "little woman" are gonna have a great time with this smoker! My husband and I sit outside and drink beer (well I do) he's a whiskey boy.... and just sniff smoke!!! Life is sweet!!! Neighbors often wander over to see what's going on!!! (Gotta love that!!) Have fun...thats what life is about!!! :)

Ditto on that LaQuinta. Stop to smell the smoke!!! ;D

BTW I keep forgetting to ask you how far from Camarillo are you. I plan to visit one of my brothers late Jan or Feb for a week or two and thought I might drop by and say hello.

Smoking Duck

Hey LaQuinta,

ever since I was a young 'un, I've loved the smell of burning wood......this has taken that to a whole new level.  Not only does the better half like it, the kids love it as well as my Lab, Steeler (although, her whining about wanting some of whatever it is I'm cooking has got to stop; she sounds like my wife looking at Coach and Prada purses  ;D).  Anyways, alcohol and smoke is now becoming my favorite activity!

Smoking Duck

OK, another one of the Duh questions:

Say I wanted to smoke some salmon and chicken at the same time but didn't necesarily want the flavors of the two to mix (would you?) how would you go about setting up the smoker to accomplish both tasks at the same time.  I figure you could use the same wood for fish and poultry but how do you do it with both items without an interchange of tastes, if that is possible.

TIA!

Marc