Finishing up Pork Butt in an Oven?

Started by standles, December 02, 2007, 09:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKSmoker

I do everything at 250F and two 8.5# butts take 26 hours. The plateau will take 6-8 hours. This is like clock work in my smoker. You have the unit set much to low.
Lead by example

standles

Thanks guys.

I set the smoker low before going to bed  (my thinking was if it got through the plateau during the night it wouldn't exceed set temp) in an effort not to kill the meat.   I will up it next time and I am going to order a maverick.   At present I am using the bradley meat thermometer.

I noticed the ET-73 and the ET-7.   The ET-7 got lukewarm reviews.  I know about the range issue but which of these 2 would you buy?

Ohhhhhh.  The meat looks and taste turned out beautiful.     The guests were at first leary when I told them about the FTC process and how I had it in the cooler for 2 hours.   One even said they were not going to be poisoned.   I told them that if they could pull the meat bare handed I would take them out and buy them a 5star meal.

Of course the foil pulled back to steam and they couldn't even get it out of the foil.   

I didn't even have to shred it really.   Getting it from the foil to the serving platter basically shredded it for me.  It litterally just fell apart when I tried to pick it up.

Steven

Wildcat

That is the way it should be.  Good job.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Quote from: standles on December 05, 2007, 05:16:29 PM
I didn't even have to shred it really.   Getting it from the foil to the serving platter basically shredded it for me.  It litterally just fell apart when I tried to pick it up.

Steven

Hopefully the Mrs. didn't see that.  If she didn't, you can tell her you need to get a set of bear claws to do a better job of shredding.   ;D

ET-73 vs. ET-7
I have a 73 and there is another thread here that expains all the great and not so great things about it so I won't go into it here.  The difference between them as far as the probes go, the 73 has one meat probe and one cabinet probe.  The  has two meat probes.  I would like to see the ET -7 to see if the on/off switches are better than on the ET-73 as the ET-7 looks a lot different then my ET-73.  The 7 has a better rating and with the sale price is cheaper so maybe it would be a better choice and then just buy the cabinet probe.  I believe there are others here that have the ET-7 and can comment on it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I have both and the ET-7 out performs my ET-73. Keep in mind that I have one of the early models of the ET-73. I don't use the ET-7 to monitor the cabinet temperature but use it to monitor two different foods. You can use one of the probes to monitor the cabinet, without ordering the cabinet style probe that comes with the ET-73. You can use a small binder clip (you can get them at any office supply store) or use thin wire and attach an alligator clip to one probe, then you can attach one probe underneath a rack (I use this setup for my oven). There is one member that sticks a food probe through a piece of  raw potato and places it on an unused rack, but keep in mind placement of the probe is important.

The on/off/standby switch is a little sturdier then the ET-73, but I haven't had any problems with either switch. The standby feature allow you to turn off the display of the receiver, allowing you to extend your battery life. While in standby all other features continue to work. Also with the ET-7 you have added features. The timers are very handy, and can show you at a glance how long the meat has been in the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

For attaching the temp probe I have found these alligator clips work great & they're cheap too. They are just the right size to firmly slide over most probes. I've had a few narrower probes where I had to slightly crimp the collar of the clip first before sliding it on. Here's a couple of links:

Radio Shack USA - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062224&cp

Circut City Canada - http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Clips&product=2700346

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

standles

Thanks guys..

Looks like an ET-7 For me :)

Steven