Ahhh...Brisket

Started by mybad, December 10, 2007, 08:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybad

Yup ;D I get it now...I have had no problem smoking anything in my Bradley SS. Except a fresh beef brisket.

Last time I did one, as you all know, takes plenty of prep, and really all day to smoke/cook.

But is was dry :-[ :-\

So after about a month I am over the hurt, and embarrassment of a "dry" brisket.
So today I try again! So to cut to the chase....WOW it was as good as anything I have tasted...I get now! ;D

Sorry no pics ;D

Gizmo

Glad it turned out well for you.

So what did you do differently?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

kiyotei

I smoked a lot of brisket before getting it down pat.  A little BBQ Sauce helps cover up any dryness.

La Quinta

Good for you Mybad...I haven't mustered up the nerve yet...except for pastrami...Habs recipe...

LowTide

Quote from: mybad on December 10, 2007, 08:05:06 PMSo today I try again! So to cut to the chase....WOW it was as good as anything I have tasted...I get now! ;D

Well, what did you do? ??? 

I am still in the hurt from my only run with brisket.  I think one of my main problems was lacking a decent fat cap on the cut, the one I did was 'trimmed' pretty well.

mybad

Well the first one I think where I went wrong is, foiling it up, after about 5hrs of hickory smoke. I continued to finish cooking it, wrapped in foil, with a splash of Apple juice.

I think I steamed out all the moisture.

This time same rub, same heat temp "225" after about 5hrs of smoke, I just let it continue to cook in the Bradley, no foil. It took 9hrs to finish to IT 190, then FTCed for 1 hr.

It was like butter, rich creamy flavor. Could have been a better piece of meat, but I think the last one was ruined by the foil wrap.

kiyotei

I don't think it was the foil.  I wrap my brisket in foil after 5 hours and never have a problem.  Was this brisket the exact same weight as the previous one?

Buck36

Quote from: kiyotei on December 13, 2007, 07:24:55 AM
I don't think it was the foil.  I wrap my brisket in foil after 5 hours and never have a problem.  Was this brisket the exact same weight as the previous one?

This was what I was thinking too. It seems with brisket, the bigger the better. I think it is Steven Raichlen who says don't try to smoke any brisket under 5 pounds.

iceman

I like at least 8 pounds and up with a real good fat cap. (3/8") or so. ;)

LowTide

Why we are on the subject of briskets, I have heard opinions about points and flats.  I think I was told the points are marbled more therefore may be a little juicier.  The first one I did was a flat, because that is all they had at the time.  I think I will try a point next and make sure there is a fat cap.

Gizmo

I always get the whole packer brisket (flat and point together) as it is cheaper than the flat by itself and I actually prefer the fat cap side for taste and moisture.  I put the cap on the rack above the flat to drip down on the flat and "give it some more".  When trimming, you definately don't want to take all the fat off, leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch on it.

To fix up a dry brisket, place the slices in some beef stock unless you have some juices left over.  Using a foil boat will give you some nice brisket flavor stock to hide any dryness.  The fat will cool and congeal on the top leaving you a nice base stock underneath.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Buck36

I am a fan of boating the brisket. I like to use the el cheapo, thin, aluminum roasting pans. I have one that fits perfectly in the Bradley. I smoke it on the rack for about 4 hours and then throw it in the pan until it comes up to temperature. They have come out moist.   

SKSmoker

If you are doing a point, my suggestion would be to make burnt ends out of it. Out of this world!
Lead by example