moisture in smoker

Started by pensrock, December 02, 2007, 01:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhiskett

Try putting some cooking oil on top of the water in the pan.  I should reduce the amount of evaporation as long as the water pan doesn't boil, while still allowing the pucks to be extinguished.  I also have a moisture problem in my original smoker. i have never done sausage so it hasn't really bothered me, however i do have a stain on the old kitchen table i keep it on in the garage.  I had moisture on the first try like you and thought that was normal.

pensrock

Tyring a yard bird today. I opened up the louvers per Bradleys suggestion, preheated the smoker to 220 degrees, also put a firebrick from work in the lower chamber to help hold the heat while opening the door during the cooking. I soaked the bird in lemon juice and pepper for a couple hours, dried and coated with EVOO, S&P then put into the middle of smoker. Smoked for two hours fourty minutes using hickory, then raised the temp to 230 for another 1-1/2 hours. I have another hour to go before checking the internal temp. I did not get my maverick yet so I have to check manually. I did notice though after the two hours of smoking the water bowl was getting low on water again. I did not notice the water running out the door as I had when doing the two sausage runs. I'm not sure if the louver mod helped yet or not but it looks better, I just cannot explain why I keep running out of water after four hours and no one else is. The bowl was half full of cold water at the start and it is thirty degrees outside, damper is wide open, hoping to prevent rubbery skin on the bird. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Gizmo

The bradley won't get hot enough in my opinion to prevent the rubbery skin and you will need higher than 230 deg to even come close.  You will need to finish on a grill or house oven (broiler would be the best) to get a crisp skin.
Let us know how it turns out.
On your water bowl going dry, try using 3/4 full instead of just 1/2.  I don't recall from this thread if you were monitoring the temperature at the meat with a remote thermometer.  Since you are operating in cold temperatures, I would be currious to know what the temp is at the water bowl and the meat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

Gizmo, thanks for the tip. I thought by keeping the damper wide open was enough to prevent the rubbery skin. After reading your post I went out to the smoker and checked the internal temp of the bird, it was 160. So I pulled it out and put it under the broiler for a few minutes. Its resting now but looks great. It looked really good out of the smoker but was not the skin was not crispy. Damm it smells good!
Thanks. Greg

Gizmo

Fortunatly the rubbery skin doesn't affect the awesome taste inside.   ;)

pensrock

Well it came out really good. I know I can do better though. Next time I'll brine the bird instead of just marinating it for a couple hours. I can call this one a success, had enough smoke flavor and tasted great. The breast meat was a little dry, not bad though. The brine next time will take care of that. I did not see any water running out the door or droplets at the top of the smoker. It was hotter than the run with the sausage but opening up the louvers may have helped. I'll know for sure when I get the kielbasa made and smoked. Hopefully that will happen before XMAS but I cannot guarantee that.

kiyotei

dude where do you live that you eat kielbasa ???  I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and we lived on it there, stuff is awesome when you find a good brand to buy.  I keep thinking about making my own as well.  Its almost impossible to find good quality stuff in stores.  We had a family friend who made it twice a year, Xmas and Easter.  His kielbasa was fantastic.  Alsa he retired from making it and I don't live there any more.

Gizmo

Kiyotei,
Sounds like a road trip for a recipe.  Maybe swap him some brisket and pulled pork for a few ingredients.   ::)

pensrock

kiyotei, I live about a 100 miles or so NE of Pittsburgh, near the small city of DuBois if you are familiar with that area. I live very close to interstate 80. When I get a chance I'll copy my kielbasa recipe for you. I have never had a single complaint! The nice thing about making your own is you control what goes in it. No need to swap me for my recipe, everyone here has been very helpful and I do not mind sharing.

Smoking Duck

Kiyotei,
Where in the Burgh did you grow up?  I grew up there myself (Bethel Park).  About the only thing I miss more than the kielbasa are the pierogies.  Can't find those anywhere.  Whenever I get home, I make my Mom cook me up a big plate smothered in onions.

Pensrock,

Spent some time in Punxy before I went through the big D.  I'm very familiar with DuBois.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

I used to work in Punsxy right out of school. I now work in St. Marys and live near the DuBois Airport right outside Falls Creek. Small world isn't it? Nice to meet a couple guys from PA. Too bad the Steelers got thier butts kicked, I thought the way they played in the first half they might have a chance.

Smoking Duck

No kidding....I had to turn the game off before I threw something through the 60" tv.  The wife would not have been happy if I'd done that!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

I posted my recipe in the meat section of Recipe Discussions. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Smoking Duck, I know how you feel. The Steelers just did not make the halftime adjustments and NE did. I blame that as well as some of the other losses on having a new coach. It will probably take a little time for him to learn how to make game time adjustments. He has had it pretty easy so far, he has a really good team to start out with. I do not think Cower would have lost to the Jets or Cardnials.

SKSmoker

I fill my water bowl completely full with water as hot as I can get from the tap. This will also help you with your temp recovery. Putting in cold water will just bring your temp down as the unit has to heat that much water up. Let your hotwater tap run for a few mins until it gets as hot as it can. Fill up the bowl _full_ and put in your smoker. I do this and I don't run out of water at 250F for 8hrs.

In colder weather, preheat your bradley @ 320F. It takes less time, it has more heat in the cabinet when you go to load your meat and will take less time to recover. That with a full pot of hot water, and you should be set. I tried the cold water once, and it didn't work well at all.
Lead by example

pensrock

SKSmoker, I'll try that next time I'm hot smoking. Thanks for the tips.