Doing my first smoke tomorrow

Started by Smoking Duck, December 02, 2007, 02:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

OK, the urge to smoke something is too strong for me now.  Found this recipe from Habenero Smoker and thought it looked easy enough that a beginner could do it.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86

Went and bought a small butt (not sure if it's the butt or not; it was labeled as pork shoulder).  Figured for $12 it wouldn't be that big of a loss if I ruined it.  Have the rub on it now (decided to use the mustard to coat it) and it's in the refer.  I will get up early tomorrow and get it started.

I'll take pics of the process so that yinz guys can tell me if I did anything wrong.  My ET-73 hasn't arrived yet (I assume it will tomorrow) but figured I could figure it out as I go.  Will plan on FTCing it as well.

One quick question:  this recipe doesn't say anything about spritzing during the process.  Would you recommend doing it and would every hour to hour and a half be about right?  It's a 6 lb butt so I figure about 9.5 hours at 210* should be in the ballpark.

Here's hoping I don't ruin it  ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smoking Duck

Also, would it be stupid to try a combo of 2 apple-1 alder as a smoke or would I be better off not trying anything and just go for the straight apple?  TIA!

Mr Walleye

I usually don't spritz butts. When I FTC I do give them a good shot of apple juice though. As far as mixing pucks I've done that lots. It just depends on what I feel like at the time I'm loading them.

Butts are very forgiving. Have fun & good luck.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hillbillysmoker

Go for it.....the best is yet to come.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Habanero Smoker

The recipe is basically a reprint from Smoke & Spice adapted for Bradley use. It was posted to help get the recipe site up and running. Since then many have come up with more innovative ideas, so you should check around the forum. Asa's methods come to mind while I am thinking of it. I do recommend the rub, not matter which method you use to smoke.

I don't spritz either, and I generally do not FTC. I generally will foil the meat and add some apple juice, while the meat is resting. Then when it's at a temperature I can handle it with my hands, I will start pulling it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

OK, another really stupid question......I'm gonna put the pork on the rack that is closest to the temperature gauge since I don't have my ET-73 yet to try and get it as close to temp as possible.  Is this the right thing to do?  Also, do you put the pork straight on the rack or do people put foil underneath it?  Sorry for the really dumb questions (at least they'll seem like it to me after a while).  I really appreciate all the help on what is my maiden smoke.

TIA!

Marc

Wildcat

Straight on the rack.  You need the smoke to reach all sides.  You also kind of need some type of meat temp probe.  You need the meat to be at round 190 to 195 when you take it out.  Your box temp will not tell you what your meat temp is.

Smoking Duck

OK......here's the start of it.  The ambient temp outside is 31.  Had to set the smoker at 240 to keep it at around 210.  Got the DBS preheated then set the smoke up with 2 apple-1 alder.  Set the smoke up for four hours.  Here's some pics to get started.  Yes, even threw the obligatory one with the kids in  ;).

Here's the pork before it goes in the refer:

Now, a shameless plug with the kids (who really wanted me to start smoking):

And, a pic of the maiden smoke in the DBS:

Will post more later!
Marc

Mr Walleye

I usually try to give the racks a quick spray with Pam as well. Sometimes you will find it difficult to get that piece of butt out of there in one piece because it's soooooo tender and I find this helps a bit.

Now I'm hungry again!  ;D

Mike

PS
Great lookin' family Marc!

Smoking Duck

Thanks Mike.  As I've said many times, my daughter could make Jesus cuss but that's what I love about her the most :D.  I forgot to spray the rack with Pam and will probably pay the cost for that, but smoking is all about learning (at least that's what they tell me) and will try and temper my enthusiasm to remember the little things.

It's only 10 am right now......you think it's too early to go out there with a beer and smell the smoke?  ???

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 03, 2007, 07:08:21 AM
It's only 10 am right now......you think it's too early to go out there with a beer and smell the smoke?  ???

It's probably noon somewhere!  ;)

Mike

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 03, 2007, 07:08:21 AM

As long as ya don't have to drive to get to your smoker, yer 4 hours late gettin' started on that part. :D :D ;D

Smoking Duck

Actually, I'm just waiting for the wife to go shopping......it's much easier to do without her nagging about the early hour.....plus it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission  ;D

Wildcat

Nice kids there.

Keep that picture of the smoker.  After a couple of smokes you will not be able to see a reflection of the meat.