Doing my first smoke tomorrow

Started by Smoking Duck, December 02, 2007, 02:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Thanks Wildcat.  I think you're right about the smoker....kinda like kids, it's gonna grow up right before my eyes and when I'm on my 3rd DBS, I'm gonna wonder where the time went  :D.......I'm amazed with the DBS.  As I stated earlier, the ambient temp is 31* outside and the smoker is keeping a real steady temp.  Of course, I haven't opened it up once yet (although I find it easier not to open if you carry two beers and fight the urge).  Will check it at the 4 hour mark once the smoke is done and put a meat thermometer in.  I'll take pics of what it looks like at that point.  Thanks for all the help, guys and gals.  It sure seems pretty easy with all the help.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Once the smoke is done at the 4 hour mark, dump the water bowl and refill with fresh hot water.

Oh ya.... and grab another beer for each hand!   ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Hey Mike, I checked it at the 3.5 hour mark (wanted to get a pic) and noticed that I was almost out of water and it seemed like the biscuits were stacking up on each other, so I dumped it real quick and put fresh water in......should I do the same at the 4 hour mark?  Pics to follow..............

Marc

Smoking Duck

OK, this is what it looks like at the 3.5 hour mark......it smells awesome and I'm salivating as it is.  Does it look right at this stage of the game?  It sure smells right to me at this stage and what's better, Momma has been gone a while shopping now which allows more time for adult beverages (not real sure if that's a good thing or not: shopping csts vs. adult beverage?  I think it may balance itself out  ???)

Wildcat

Looks good so far.  No need to dump water at 4 hour mark.  Give it a couple of hours and check it - you can change water at that point.  If you are going to spritz, then do that as well.  The bark will darken a lot more before it is done.  So dark that some folks might even say it looks slightly burnt.  Flavor will be wonderful though.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Looks right on Marc. Grab a cold one for me too! :D

Smoking Duck

Thanks all....it's been said before but you guys are awesome.  And Iceman, I grabbed 3 for you since you're in Alaska.....I'm envious of you!

Mr Walleye

Mmmmm.... Lookin' good Marc!  :P

Of course I'm stuck at work and droolin' on my keyboard!  :'(

Mike

Habanero Smoker

Nice looking family. Come on now. Your daughter looks like an angel. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Thanks Habs.  That's how she likes it to appear  ;D  I've now got the butt at an internal temp of about 166.  Need 9 more degrees and I'll pull it and FTC it.  It has a real nice dark bark on it and smells incredible.  I sure am glad that I decided to do something simple like a butt on the maiden voyage (you know, that doesn't sound the way it should  ;)).  Of course, I haven't tasted it yet.  I'll post pics of the finished product when it gets done.  Again, thanks for all the help all.  You've allowed to to be rather confident about something I had absolutely no confidence in.

Mr Walleye

Marc

Are you slicing it or pulling it. If you are going to pull it I usually take mine to 190 or 195. I've never sliced one so I'm not sure about the 175 degrees you are refering to.

Mike

Smoking Duck

Mike,
I was going to pull it.  Not sure where I read 175* but I'm sure it was on one of the boards here or at Olds place (I think there was a side note that that person, not sure whom) where they liked to pull it at 175*, FTC, then pull.  If I FTC it, won't it continue to cook during the FTC process or is that hoping for too much?

Marc

Mr Walleye

I tipically take them to 190 - 195 then FTC. I usually don't FTC as long as some others do though, usually just an hour or so. It will continue to cook/render the fat in FTC but because I've never taken them out at 175 I'm not sure. Heck, give it a shot and then you'll know. Unless someone else has a comment between now and when you were planning to pull it.

Mike

Smoking Duck

Heck Mike, I figured in for a penny in for a pound.  I did kick up the heat a bit.....got the smoker temp up to 219, butt's a 175* right now....may as well wait until 190* then pull it.  Thanks for the help, again.  I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out (now I gotta fix the kids some baloney sammiches until the pork is done  :))

Tiny Tim

It'll pull okay at 175, but it'll fall apart for you at 190ish.  Either way, it'll be good eats, and that's all it's about with these magical smoking machines.