The first cheese...

Started by Ontrack, October 11, 2007, 05:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Geez yer killing me here. I have got to try that this weekend. :)

Habanero Smoker

Now I have to see if I have any smoked cheese left. The addition of mayo sounds real good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

I stated earlier that I would be giving away more of the 8 lbs. of cheese than I kept-I don't see that happening. I gave a friend a lb. or so, and I've been in it so hard I'll be lucky to have any left by this time next week. When I do run out, I bet I have some not too far behind...

Ontrack

OK, about out of cheese, with a couple of more variations of Hab's grilled cheese sandwiches: add all of the above, plus some real bacon bits-outta this world! Ran out of bacon bits and tried about the only thing I could find that may work-thin sliced pepperoni-another great sandwich! Thanks again, Hab for the idea-I have enough shredded cheese for a couple of more, so maybe I can come up with something else...

Habanero Smoker

Grilled Cheese sandwiches can be addictive. I have a cookbook on just grilled cheese sandwiches. It's stored away in one of many boxes, but that is where I got the idea of shredding the cheese first.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ontrack

You sure came up with a good one! I'm thinking...mabye a fried egg on top of everything else??? Can't get much thicker, though...aw, why not!

sherlock

8)
Man, you people are making me hungary.

On the way home, I MUST stop and buy some cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ontrack

Sherlock, if you have a Sam's Club nearby, they have 5 lb blocks at a very good price. That's where I bought the sharp cheddar, but they didn't have pepper jack. 3 lbs of peppper jack at a local grocery chain cost me almost 3 times as much as 5 lbs at Sam's. But, if you haven't tried it, you need to, because it is delicious!

sherlock

BACK AGAIN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

1     What size pieces work best?

2     Should I wrap before or after the aging of the cheese?

Thanks

pensrock

Now you've done it..... I know what's for supper tonight at the pensrock household! I have plenty of smoked cheese, now I only wish my 'Habs Canadian Bacon' was ready to top it off with, I normally use Miracle Whip on my grilled cheese sandwiches, just a personal preference.

I have a quick question for everyone, what kind of pepper jack are you using to smoke? I have tried several kinds of pepper jack and no one likes it, they all love unsmoked pepper jack including me. As a matter of fact a guy is supposed to be sending me a couple pounds of Habanero cheese to try, I cannot wait, the hotter the better. The pepper jack cheese is the only cheese that I have done that is not loved. I have been looking for an American pepper cheese to try but cannot find any locally. Thanks for any suggestions. BTW I tried apple, hickory and oak for the jack cheese nothing seemed to make a difference and I always wait at least three days before allowing anyone (except me of course) to taste it.

Habanero Smoker

Wrap the cheese prior to aging.

For pepper jack I have tried both sharp cheddar and Monterrey jack. Monterrey comes out much better than the cheddar version. The cheddar pepper jack came out very bitter, and it was a Cabot brand, so it wasn't a cheap brand.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ontrack

I agree with Habs-Monterrey Jack. As for the size, I buy it in 5# blocks and split it longways twice. Perfect fit for a cracker!

Malc

I have done Cabot pepper jack.  It was awesome.  This would also be the Monterey Jack version.  I have not tried other pepper varieties like cheddar as I am not a big fan of them unsmoked.  Preference I guess.  Also, I let my smoked cheese sit about ten days to get to the flavor I like.  Maybe you should try to let it sit a bit longer as an experiment.  Also, do you like it?  If so, more for you ;D  Crap, that reminds me, I have to get my Christmas cheese in there today. :o
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Malc;

I think Cabot only makes cheddar cheese. Though they call one of their cheese pepper jack, it's not made with traditional Monterrey Jack, but with cheddar.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Malc

Hmmm...interesting.  Maybe it was a cheddar, but I did find this on their website.  You got me wondering now.
http://www.cabotcheese.com/f1.php?left=menu-ourproducts.html&right=ourproducts.html
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.