How accurate is the cabin thermostat on the 6 rack digital?

Started by mcegoon, December 12, 2007, 08:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcegoon

I'm a little confused about all the posts I'm reading about the "problems" with the Bradley "thermostat" on the smoker. I just got the 6 rack digital, and I have a single probe digital meat thermometer. I got this one awhile back. I think it's some off brand from Target, but it still works. Of course, it doesn't measure the cabin temp.

I've only done two smokes so far. The first one was chicken and it turned out OK. The second was some brats, sausage, and sliced bacon. I'm not sure what the deal was there, but within about 2 hours moving to about a 280 cabin temp I totally fried everything in the smoker. Burned to a crisp :(

So, my next project is this 7lb flat brisket. It is quite flat, and I don't want to burn it of course. I'd like to let it smoke/cook overnight without me watching it. Will I need this fancy Maverick thermometer, or could I get by somehow with what I have? Thanks!

mcegoon

forgot to add, I'm in Florida so it's pretty warm here. Coldest outside will probably be around 50deg for the next few nights. I have my Bradley outside.

iceman

Even a less expensive remote probe oven thermometer would get you by. The tower thermometers are notorious for reading wrong and can be up to 40 degrees off. It's very important to know the actual temperature of the food your cooking to get good results consistently. ;)

Smoking Duck

I'd echo what Iceman has written.  In the long run, the price you pay for a Maverick or some other probe that measures smoker temp will pay for itself with the amount of food saved because you know what the "real" temp is.  The nice thing about the Maverick is that you can set the target temp you'd like the smoker to be and if it goes outside of the range, it will set off an alarm to let you know.  I guess it all depends on how much "set it and forget it" comfort you'd like.  I have one and am glad that I do.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

mcegoon

Quote from: iceman on December 12, 2007, 09:13:02 AM
Even a less expensive remote probe oven thermometer would get you by. The tower thermometers are notorious for reading wrong and can be up to 40 degrees off. It's very important to know the actual temperature of the food your cooking to get good results consistently. ;)

Has anyone brought this to Bradley's attention? I mean, if you had a stove that was notoriously inaccurate you'd call it defective. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I set my cheap electic range at 350 it stays at 350 so long as I keep it on. Is it because of the cabin/vent that the cabin temp varies so much on the Bradley?

Curious, are you guys with the extra cabin thermometer contstantly adjusting the temp to keep it consistent - or do you just figure out the margin of error and set accordingly? I'm guessing some are not since they say they smoke overnight. Else, they'd have to be up every hour or so to fiddle with the temp to make sure it's right.

Wildcat

The built in gauge is inaccurate primarily because of its location and the air flow (draft).  With a remote probe, you can place the probe near the food and it will show what temp the food is recieving.  Your cabinet temp will vary from top to bottom and front to back.  This is one reason most of us will rotate racks (if utilizing more than one) from front to back and top to bottom.  The outside temp affects temps and little, but wind really affects it.

Welcome to the forum.  I am a fellow Floridian.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Quote from: mcegoon on December 12, 2007, 09:28:39 AM
Quote from: iceman on December 12, 2007, 09:13:02 AM

Has anyone brought this to Bradley's attention? I mean, if you had a stove that was notoriously inaccurate you'd call it defective. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I set my cheap electic range at 350 it stays at 350 so long as I keep it on. Is it because of the cabin/vent that the cabin temp varies so much on the Bradley?

Curious, are you guys with the extra cabin thermometer contstantly adjusting the temp to keep it consistent - or do you just figure out the margin of error and set accordingly? I'm guessing some are not since they say they smoke overnight. Else, they'd have to be up every hour or so to fiddle with the temp to make sure it's right.

Unlike your range in the house, a smoker has so many more variables to deal with (temp, wind, etc).  Additionally, you have vents, etc to deal with.  The Bradley is no different than any other smoker in regards to temp variations, IMO.  However, I've been extremely pleased at how well my DBS stays at a temp I've set, once I've gotten it to the temp I want.  I would think it's very rare that you have the same exact weather conditions every time you do a smoke.  I realize it's an additional cost, but it is a very inexpensive cost to achieve some sort of peace of mind.  There are folks I would guess that don't use them and do just fine, but I would think that would require more hands on smoking than what you're wanting to do (while sleeping).  I wish you the best whichever way you decide to go.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

I have a four rack DBS and have found my tower temps to be as much 25-30 degrees off in both directions.  A probe that accurately measures the tower temp is a wise investment.  After you have gotten used to using your particular DBS, you will develop a sense of where you need to set the temp in order to receive the temp you are really wanting.

Happy smoking!
KyNola

Tiny Tim

You'd be surprised how big of a temp swing your home oven can have too.  I finished a few butts in my home oven and found about a 30* swing low to high at 225* (from about 210-240).

Ontrack

Be careful with that 7# brisket,especially with your Florida weather on an overnight smoke. You'll need to change/replace the water in the bowl after 4 hours. With a brisket of that size, I will put it on about 6:00 am, and will ftc'ing it  in 10 hours or usually less, and eating by 6:00 or 7:00 pm.

mcegoon

Quote from: Ontrack on December 12, 2007, 05:03:47 PM
Be careful with that 7# brisket,especially with your Florida weather on an overnight smoke. You'll need to change/replace the water in the bowl after 4 hours. With a brisket of that size, I will put it on about 6:00 am, and will ftc'ing it  in 10 hours or usually less, and eating by 6:00 or 7:00 pm.

Is the warmer weather worse than the colder weather? I thought it would be more consistent in the warm weather. Also, haven't been able to get one of those dual probe Mavy's yet. Classic Murphy's Law. Both BedBeth and linens carry all sorts of Maverick's but not the ET-73 or any other dual probe remote I could find. I picked up another one of the cheap remote single probes I already have from Target - but I'm not sure if they'll work together at the same time. Going to try it tonight. If not, I guess I'll have to order the ET-73. Thanks again for your help guys!

La Quinta

Actually mcegoon...I live in the desert in California and when it's hot I have to "throttle back" the smoker...a lot. Sometimes the box temp is already (w/o plugging it in) 180 when I go to smoke in the summer. Your outside temp is like ours now (at night) so as you don't have a Mav...I've hung the single probe thermo, I have, at the "meat level" and checked it about every hour until it held at a steady temp, adjusting as needed. It's a real pain in the arse but if you're smoking tonite just try it. Stick, in the meat, an instant read thermo after a number of hours...and see where you are. You'll get the hang of it...good luck!!! :)

okeejohn

Wildcat

I am in the panhandle near Pensacola.  Olds is closer to you in St. Pete.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/