First Big Smoke

Started by bigredsmoker, December 14, 2007, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

I've had my warm up smokes on the Chicken wraps and some cheese. Now I'm ready for the main event. The two Butts have been brined and rubbed and are getting to room temp. Got the smoker heating up (25 and a north breeze 10-15 outside). I'm preheating a brick on my grill to help keep temp up. Iceman's sauce package came today and  I had to sample it. Wow, it is sauce with an attitude! I think I'm ready. Will update progress later.

Terry

Smoking Duck

Good luck, Terry.  I'm sure your first big smoke will be great!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

How sweet it is.  Take some pictures.  You'll want to look back on this one some day.  We wouldn't mine sharing in your experience as well. 

Chow down.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Just wait until you try some butts with Ice's rub.  Does not get any better.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I'm with Wildcat on that one!!!

bigredsmoker

Butts went on at 6:00. Had the box up to 265. Forgot to take the before pictures, but you seen one butt all slathered with mustard and rub you seen em all I guess. Put Butts in and dropped temp to 220. Box went down to 160. I wish my Maverick would have gotton here before this so I will just have to depend on the digital box temp reading and a single probe I bought to monitor the meat. I am planning on 6 hours of Apple smoke and then I will finish in the oven over night. Does finishing in the oven really smell up the house? I am debating on if I want to do that since we are haveing our party at our house tomorrow. Don't think the wife will be too crazy about a heavy smoke smell in the house for the party. Let me know what you folks with more experience think about the smell factor.

Thanks!!

Terry

Smoking Duck

What's wrong with a heavy smoke smell????? ;D

I finished my first butt in the oven, Terry, and I didn't have a heavy smoke smell (and believe you me, the wife would have let me hear about it, and hear about it, and hear about it.  Then she'd let me hear about it some more and just when I thought she'd forgotten about it, she'd have pulled the rolodex card out of the big old rolodex she has in her head of everything I've done wrong and reminded me for good measure).

I think you'll be somewhat safe.

Marc

bigredsmoker

Thanks Marc, She loves to eat it, but she just doesn't like the smell in the house. I think my wife has the rolodex as well. I may only hear about it once or twice though. Personally I love the smell. How did you finish in the oven? aluminum foil pan with aluminum on top or what?

Terry

Smoking Duck

I just turned the DBS rack upside down over a triple wrap of foil.  Someone else on here said that was how they FTC'd theirs, so that's how I handled mine.  It did the job for me.  Of course, had it ripped and I'd have spilled the juice, I would have heard about that.  Have I told you how my wife likes to let me know when I've screwed up?  :o ;D

bigredsmoker

Did you cover it at all with foil? Was also wondering if using the convection oven would help or hurt?? Anyone??

Terry

Smoking Duck

Covered all in foil.  As far as the convection oven, can't tell ya.  I just used my regular old gas oven.  Someone should be able to tell you right quick.

bigredsmoker

Did it have to start snowing??? Had to improvise a roof on my windbreak shelter. I am under a deck, but the slight wind we have is blowing snow onto the smoker and controler. Put some of the cardboard from the bradley box on top as a roof. I think it will work.

Terry

Gizmo

I use the foil pan, covered with HD Aluminum foil and convection oven with temp probe to finish (oven goes into an auto temp hold at 150 when IT is reached).  When I get up in the morning, there is a good aroma in the air but once the house gets opened up it disipates fast.  :'( 

bigredsmoker

Thanks Gizmo. I have the probe as well, so I think that will be the plan. I would think mine goes to a hold temp as well when temp is reached. What temp do you set your convection oven at??

Gizmo