Old Fashioned Bologna

Started by BigSmoker, November 12, 2004, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

I ordered an old fashioned bologna kit from Hi-Mountain today.  Sounds pretty easy but wanted to know if anyone had ever done this or had any suggestions or tips.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

BS,

All I got to say is you better keep us up on this project.  This sounds just to good.  Do you smoke this, man that sound great!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

MW,
Affirmative on the smoking.  Directions don't say what type of wood to use but I will use pecan.  The wife and kids don't like overpowering smoke flavor so pecan seems to work well for us.
The recipe says to grind with coarse blades so it won't be like the liquified stuff you buy at the store.  Will definitely post results.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

BigSmoker

I tried a 3lber a few weeks ago and didn't do to well.  It was my fault.  I had left part of the meat grinder out and well long story.

Started next batch Friday after work.  I used 2 lbs of tri-tip and 1 lb of pork butt.  Smoked with 4 hours apple and pecan 2:1.  The cooking process starts at 120°f until casing(s) are dry.   Raise temp to 160°f for 2 hours then up to 180°f until internal is 156°f
Place the bologna in fridge until cold, eat[:D]

Heres the bologna after stuffing:

After the smoke/cook:

First slices:
The hole is from the thermometer.

A fried bologna snack sandwich with cracked black pepper:

Turned out tasty but it either needs more of the spice mix or a little something additional.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

Cold Smoke

Just wondering if it tastes like your regular store bought bologna? I've considered buying that same kit from Hi Mountain for some time. Would that be something worth trying?

Cold Smoke

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Just wondering if it tastes like your regular store bought bologna?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It has the same type flavor but not the same.  I like it cause I know exactly whats in it[:D]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

Cold Smoke

Roger that Big Smoker. I've started making my own sausage lately and it's kind of comforting knowing what your eating- good quality cuts of meat. Not mechanically separated meat, and "may contain this or that"(ears, snouts and rectums)[?][xx(] I believe I'll give that bologna kit a whirl in the next while. I do enjoy everything I've tried from Hi Mountain so far. Thanks.

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

BS,

THAT IS A BEAUTEEEFUL THING. Man, looks great!  What gives, no crust??

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />BS,

THAT IS A BEAUTEEEFUL THING. Man, looks great!  What gives, no crust??

Well I was out of regular bread so the boys(I call my son boy most times.  I think he has a real name but I can't remember it at the moment) Iron Kids crustless was all that was ava.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

my next project is summer sausage, how are you guys stuffing the casings? do i need some big machine?

jaeger

Rob,
You should be able to stuff the casings with a large horn attachment off your grinder. You may need an extra set of hands to keep the casing packed full to avoid air pockets. Also, soak the fibrous casing in warm water for about 5-10 minutes before stuffing. It will make the casing easier to work with. After stuffing the casing, check to see if you can see any air pockets. You can prick the casing at these pockets to let out the air as you carefully squeeze from the end of the casing. When you have all the air pockets out, tie or clip the end of the casing. [:)]

Doug

Smalls

I used the Hi-Mtn. bologna cure in the past also.  I agree that it seems to be missing something.  I think the next time I make it I will add some black pepper, red pepper, garlic and maybe some mustard seed to give it some extra kick.  Otherwise, the recipe as packaged is great!
Bill

JJC

Hi-Mountain sounds like a place I should know about--can someone provide the newbie with the URL?  Thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

JC,

Here you go:http://www.himtnjerky.com/

Here is my other favorite:http://www.butcher-packer.com/

Have fun and let us know how things go.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />JC,

Here you go:http://www.himtnjerky.com/

Here is my other favorite:http://www.butcher-packer.com/

Have fun and let us know how things go.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

Thanks, MW.  I'll keep you posted!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA