Cold Smoking Temp max?

Started by La Quinta, December 17, 2007, 04:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Hi guys and gals:
What is the highest temp you should let the box get to for a cold smoke? (In general) and.. I'd like to try to cold smoke some salmon. Never done it before and could use some help...Where I live cold smoking will be a luxury I can only do, in say, the next 3 months...so I want to cram as much in as possible while it's chilly out!!!
Any tips and info would be a great help!!!

Gizmo

Most of what I have read indicates cold smoke is under 100 deg.  Now if your doing cheese or something that melts, that might not work out too well.  If you separate the smoke gen from the box, you will basically eliminate all heat sources so your ambient outside air temperature is all you have.  I like to keep the box temp below 80 and prefer closer to 60 if possible.  I suppose for the winter challenged, going below 32 deg wouldn't do much good as ICE don't take smoke.  Right ICE(man)?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Ok...so Giz...if I hit 100 with a salmon...is that cool...or no? I have been able to keep the temp right at 100 so far but have only done nuts and the short ribs (those I had planned to cook another way, anyway). Still gotta do the oxtails but really don't want any cooking. Been too warm...

Ontrack

I've only cold smoked steaks and cheese. I fill the water bowl with ice, and fill a gallon zip lock bag full of ice and put it on an empty rack. I've smoked like this with the outdoor temps in the low 50's and had no problem keeping the cab temps below 90, usually quite a bit lower. Of course, the colder it is outside, the better. I cold smoked 15 lbs. of cheese this weekend with outdoor temps in the high 20's, and the cab temp never got above 72.

Ontrack

LQ-give the ice bag (or bags) a try-I think it may help keep your temps well under 100. (yes, I've read enough posts to know what part of the USA you live in ;))

Gizmo

Haven't done cold smoked salmon yet so I'll let the real fishy folks answer that with more experience.  I have used ice as well to keep the temps down. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Thanks OnTrack...I'll try the icebags...I have put ice in the bowl when doing my limited cold smoked stuff...but never anything more. So if I'm, at say, 40 at night...should I do a couple of racks of ice bags? I'm asking for Mom too, who is in Florida, with similar night temps right now...(lows in the 20's? Good God!!!) :)

owrstrich

salmon is an art... i recommend reading up on it... go by a known frequent posters instructions...

deviate... it will be dog food...

dont deviate... it will be awesome...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

manxman

For cold smoking (fish or otherwise) I always aim to keep the temperature less than 80F although I am sure that is very difficult in some parts of the world. It isn't a problem around my way!  ::) :D

Most references seem to say 60 - 80F although a quite a few go up to 90F, the odd one 100F.

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I agree with manxman. I found smoking below 60 you don't get as much smoke penetration and adhesion, and though a few sources my state 100°F, most that I have seen use 90°F as the high limit.

I have cold smoked, salmon, cheese and vegetables at the same time, and if you use the cold smoke set up and keep the box at a temperature below 90°F, there will be no transfer of flavors. Always place the fish below any other product that is in the smoker and you should be alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

I shoot at 70 F for reds and silvers and a tad less for kings because of the high oil content. Never over 80 F or like O says you can get into the dog food range real fast depending how old the fish is. Fresh fish is good for cold smoking but I've found previously frozen salmon actually works better for kippered (hot smoked). Because of the cells breaking up due to freezing they take the brine differently and actually firm the fish up better.

LilSmoker

I remember a while back we had a similar discussion on cold smoking temps.

The trouble is, as already mentioned that various sites around the web recommend various temps from 60°F-100°F  ???

I'm with iceman and Manx, i would never go over 80°F

When i do cold smoked salmon i aim for around 70°F-75°F works for me  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

La Quinta

Thanks everyone! I'll shoot for 80 as a high.

Ontrack

LQ-Do what the experts said-I've only  hot smoked salmon. I do think ice in the bowl and a bag or two on a shelf will help you greatly-just keep an eye on the temps. By the way, I would love to have your "problem", cause it's been in the low teens here the last 2 nights :(

Mr Walleye

Low teens!!!

That's a real nice winter day!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes