Cold Smoking Temp max?

Started by La Quinta, December 17, 2007, 04:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

Sorry Mike, but nice to me is somewhere with my feet in the sand, a drink in each hand, and staring at my or anybody elses wife in a bikini, and a waitress in a bikini bringing me 2 more drinks!  ;D This weather sucks even at home, not to mention making my job a heck of a lot more of a pain in the a$$!

iceman

Starting to get the minus 0 stuff here again. Just got back from Prudhoe at minus 30. Man I'm glad I got the smoker shed far enough along to put a heater in it!  :o ;D
I think Ontrack is sort of well......ontrack!!! ;D

Ontrack

Iceman, I don't even want to think about your temps...we get a few 0 or below days here each winter, and I either want to kill myself, quit my job, or go on vacation, but I just couldn't handle what you have to look forward every winter... :P

Mr Walleye

Ahhh Ontrack.... It's a dry cold.  :D  :D  ;D

Actually I really do enjoy winter. Not the -40 stuff with 40 km winds but the majority really isn't that bad. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy summer too but my favorite time of the year is spring and fall.

Can't argue about the bikini statement though!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ontrack

Don't forget the drinks in each hand, Mike, although they may freeze to your palms if you're not wearing gloves! If I could choose my weather, it would be 75 during the week when I'm workin' on the railroad, and 95-105 on the weekends when I'm home chillin' by the pool... :)

Mr Walleye

Your right... I did overlook the drinks!  :o That's bad!

No problem "chillin' by the pool" around here right now!  ;)

eh... Ice!

We do get pretty hot in the summer but it's not my kind of weather though. I'm not a heat kinda guy. That's probably why I like spring and fall so much... well that and the fishin' is really good too.

Mike

Ontrack

Mike, I lived on a lake down here for about 8 years...it became a river after October...I was the Virginia walleye fisherman of the month for turning in the biggest one caught (turned in) that month. It was in January of...uh...5,6 or 7 years ago. Sold the lake house, all my fishing gear to my (ex) neighbor, built a house with a pool and the old lady won't even let me stock it!

Mr Walleye

Giving all that up and she won't let you even stock the pool???  ;)

He11, guys around here ice fish in their pools in the winter!  ::)

Mike

PS
How big was your Walleye?

Ontrack

Mike, I just KNEW you were going to ask how big it was...it made citation by only a few inches or a few ounces, can't remember which...a large fish for down here but no comparison to what you guys catch up there. I have no idea where the wife put the certificate, but from poor memory I'm gonna say 8+pounds and around 34 inches. I caught 2 or 3 bigger than that one after that, but didn't go through the hassle of having them weighed and measured officially, because they were too busy being under the filet knife. Really big fish for down here, though...

Mr Walleye

Those are nice size for sure Ontrack. Lots of people spend their whole lives on the hunt for one over that magic 10 lbs. I'm very fortunate in the fact we have pretty decent walleye fishing locally. Most years we get a number over 10 lbs with my personal best at 13.1 lbs. There is a group of us that go to Northern Manitoba for a week in the spring every year. We mostly fish Northern Pike and Lake Trout but do spend a little time Walleye fishing as well. The Walleye on average from up there are smaller than here where I live. It's a whole lot of fun with the boys!  ;)

Mike

Ontrack

I'm sure it is a lot of fun, Mike. And to think I traded my fishing gear and a dock full of bikinis to a pool full of...bikinis!!! :P :-* :o. Or Less!

Mr Walleye

You could always go fishin' when the "bikinis" are out of season!

:D   :D  :D   ;D

Mike

Ontrack

levonen

QuoteWhat is the highest temp you should let the box get to for a cold smoke? (In general) and.. I'd like to try to cold smoke some salmon.

In general, term 'cold smoking' refer to temperatures bellow 90F. And there are some variations to this rule. To get smoked salmon with exceptional characteristics (taste, texture and aroma) temperature at all times should be under 68F, and you must smoke at least for 5 days (7 days is recommended). If you plan to smoke less than 5-7 days, then do not cold smoke, but rather use temperatures in the range of 90F-100F.

La Quinta

All..righty then...I have bags of ice in...bowl is full of ice and I was standing there looking at these lava rock coasters I got in Hawaii and thought...freeze them...they hold heat right? They would most certainly hold cold too? I really hope so!!! Am I jonesin' for cold smoking or waht? I'll let you know if it works...ya know.... just in case anyone has lava rock coasters they have nothing to do with!!! I'm getting kookie!!! :)