Alternatives to the catch-bowl

Started by Jon, December 30, 2003, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Got a B.S. for Xmas and I noticed that the round bowl doesn't really fit under the bisquette burner. Is it supposed to interfere like that?

So I was thinking, maybe it would be better to use a tin foil disposable pan to catch the used up bisquettes and grease/drippings. It's not as tall, so would fit, and I could just throw it away when done.

Kummok

I don't understand why the water pot won't fit.....is your puck ramp bent down? Is the smoke generator catching both upper and lower mounting posts? Can't imagine that they sent you too tall a pot....they've been packing these things for quite a while?!?!  I don't see any reason why the foil wouldn't work as long as the water level is "tall" enough to avoid splashing when the ashes fall in. As far as cleaning up the stock water pot, I just throw it in the dishwasher once in a while....same with the racks and lower heat shield , except they are dishwasher cleaned at least after every other use. Hope this helps! [8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

stormdiver

Hi,
   I had the same problem,(Though it does make a very nice dog dish) i just use a small roasting pan. Though i am not suprised it did not fit after all they said you could cold smoke with it as well. [:D]

Stormdiver

Jon

Here's what I mean. Just quality control problems, or what?

Chez Bubba

Jon,

The flat bottom tray was an afterthought, albeit improvement, that Bradley has made this last year. The added thickness of it will cause some "snugness" but overall you will have a better product.

You can adjust the angle of the smoke generator slightly by adjusting it's mounting screws. You can also....very carefully...bend the bisquette burner arm, but be ginger on this & not too far.

BTW, you're smoker is way too clean! Dirty it up dude![8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

bighoof

Mine touches the smoke generator too, I don't worry about. It doesn't lean that bad though.

Jon

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BTW, you're smoker is way too clean! Dirty it up dude!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:)] Did that today:
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82

obie51

i put my tray on top of the diffuser tray to catch drippings. have no problem with the water pot fitting.

n/a

The tray is disigned to go UNDER the water pan, I the first couple of times put it under the lower rack as the directions I got didn't even show the rectangular pan! The newer directions do.... I think we both had the same idea to keep the drippings off the heat deflector, I've sense on the past four batches put it where the directions say and have noticed other than cleanup that the unit works better.

There has been a pretty good response to this pan ussue and I think one of the problems if put above the deflector it will generate too much heat in the lower part of the smoker??  I doubt there is a smoker made that a person dosen't have to do a fair amount of cleanup after smoking if one wants to keep it working right for very long!!  I do use a lot of Pam on all ther racks and deflector before using!

Good luck and keep it looking nice!!  Larry M [;)]

n/a

After looking at your picture and thinking about it, it looks like if you tried to adjust the bisquette tray up away from the water bowl so it didn't touch I don't think it would heat the bowl and water up as it looks like yours has gotten pretty hot, it would also cut down on a lot of moisture from the hot water?? I will be checking mine out  as it's a little snug also, it makes sense that the water bowl is conducting heat from the bisquette burner!  Maybe Bradley should check this idea out and respond to a fix on the Forum??

Larry M

Chez Bubba

OK guys, I've re-read all the posts here a few times & have some random thoughts.

1. Obie: DO NOT place the flat drip pan anywhere other than the bottom of your smoker! As Larry suggested, you will trap too much heat in the lower part and ruin the smoker.

The V-shaped tray is designed to shield the heat tube and direct the drippings into the water pan. The water pan is designed to hold the drippings and extinguish the spent bisquettes. The flat bottom tray is designed to catch overflow from the bowl in case you forget to empty & refill it while cooking something like a pork shoulder or brisket for 10 hours.

The purpose of the water in the bowl is to extinguish the bisquettes, not add moisture. Although it may in fact do that, it is minimal.

2. Larry: I think Jon's picture is just a "flash related issue" regarding the coloration of the water bowl. The rest of the smoker is way too clean to have ever been fired up.

3. Jon: After re-looking at the picture, I think Kummok is on to something. Are you sure you have the smoke generator properly engaged with the mounting screws? Thinking back, there have been several times when I have not gotten it just right & produced the results you show.

4. Stormdiver: You still need to use the bowl with water in it for cold smoking to extinguish the bisquettes. If you're having a problem with keeping the temp low enough, fill it with ice instead of water.

5. To All: Never let your water bowl sit for more than a day with the ash & drippings in it. Basically, these are the ingredients to make lye. It will eat little pinholes through the bowl & make it into a very effective seive.

Too much liquid in the bottom will eventually run out throught the doorseal but also find its' way through the bottom of the smoker. In doing so, it will come in contact with your temp control board & its' wires & fry them.

Hope this all helps, didn't mean to ramble. Happy smokin' to all,

Kirk

Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

Sheeeeeesh Jon, warn us to put on sunglasses before you do that again!![8D][8D][8D][;)][;)]  It's supposed to look as black on the inside as the outside...SS buyers ignore this!
How about posting a "dirty picture", now that you've used it!! [:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

stormdiver

Hi everyone,
Yes I agree with Kirk, just to let you know i use a small roasting pan which has water in it. This is ideal as a quick fix and probably will be permenant.
Scott

Stormdiver

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stormdiver</i>
<br />Hi everyone,
Yes I agree with Kirk, just to let you know i use a small roasting pan which has water in it. This is ideal as a quick fix and probably will be permenant.
Scott

Stormdiver
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Scott
Elsewhere I noticed that someone was using a VERY heavy pot like a Creusot or a small cast iron pot; this will heat up rather slowly but it will bring the heat up again very quickly whenever you have to open the door. (or try a brick! (see elsewhere))
Richard Pearce

Chez Bubba

Larry,

The bisqutte burner produces very little heat compared to the 500 watt bulb that is inches from the water bowl. If anything is going to turn that water to steam, I believe it would be the bulb.

Also, the only part of the bisquette burner that gets hot is the very end, which is not in contact with the bowl, but centered above it.

Happy Smokin',

Kirk