trouble with the pucks

Started by walkerhockey2004, December 25, 2007, 10:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerhockey2004

My bradley is only burning about one puck and not advancing any new ones like it's supposed to.   Also, sometimes the pucks start expanding and get stuck in the slot.  Am I doing something wrong?  Could it be related to the cold weather?

Mr Walleye

If the pucks are expanding I would almost think they got wet somehow. Especially if they are getting jammed in there. Are they too thick to go through?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Hey Walker,
Do you store your smoker outside?  If so, is it cold where you live?  If you anser yes to both, you need to store it in the garage where it won't freeze.  From my very limited knowledge, the puck advancer can freeze and you won't get any advancement.

Barring that, someone with more experience than I can probably help soon.

Good luck!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

walkerhockey2004

i do live in minnesota so it is cold outside when i smoke it but i store the bradley in the garage but that is also pretty cold, i think the combination of heat and cold may be proding condensation that introduces moisture into the pucks.

Mr Walleye

That's definitely what it sounds like. You can store the tower in the garage but I would take the generator off and store it in the house along with your pucks. Some people use a plastic storage tub for their pucks and other smokin' stuff but I would still keep it in the house to stay away from the humidity issues.

Mike

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

I do keep all of my biquettes inside in a cool dark pantry where there is little variation in humidity.  I've never had a problem with the pucks and all of my smoking to date has been done in cold weather (not Minnesota cold, mind you, but cold and 40 mph winds with no problems).  I do make sure I warm up the tower a little longer than an hour as I feel the heat from the tower helps with warming up the smoke generator.

I may be off base there, but it helps me mentally to believe that and that makes a big difference!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra