bisquette flavors

Started by car54, November 14, 2004, 07:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

Maybe my taste buds are dead but can you really taste the diffence between the different wood bisquettes?

BigSmoker

car54,
How 'bout some examples of what you been cookin with what kind of wood.  I can definitely tell a big difference say between apple and hickory.  With a few more details I'm sure we can help more.  You may even have a pallette(SP?) that dosen't need so much smoke.  Remember the smoke flavor is to enhance the flavor of the food not smother it[:D].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Car54(love your handle),

Oh yes Kemosobee.  I was going to give you one of those "does a Bear do it in the woods" type thing but I won't.  There IS a lot of differance, so much so you can screw up your project.  Now some maybe somewhat close like Pecan & Maple, but still you can tell.  Throw a couple pucks of Mesquite(The Devil's[}:)] Wood) and see what you get. The differance in wood can make a project from being a great hunk of meat to a one those that people rave about and think you have done it for years. Get a mixed box and check them out.  You will find your favorite.  My favorite right know is Maple and Pecan, these two woods can cover alot of different types of meat.  HTH and have fun.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

I agree that there are some differences & I too have my favorites. However, if you don't go to extremes (mesquite with fish, alder with beef), I firmly believe this:

The quality of your end-product is much more dependant on getting a good piece of meat, quality spices, careful prep work & proper cooking. Wood flavor comes last on the list when it comes to most of the tasting abilities of the general public.

I've heard stories about how some wine connoisseurs claim they can tell which side of the hill the grapes were grown on (more or less sun) by the taste of the wine. I'm not buyin' it!

Mallard, I think Satanwood has a nice pungency to add to beef & in a limited sense, lamb & pork. Have you ever tried using it 1-3 with hickory? Just another beauty of the Bradley, mix-n-match.[8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

car54

I have had my smoker for about 3 or 4 months. I try to do one smoke a week. I have smoked ribs, pork but, chicken and I just did a 12 lbs turkey. All of these were done with maple,cherry,oak,pecan and apple. No strong woods were used. Generally, the results have been good except for Bradley's tandoor chicken.

I have allergies and believe that it my be affecting my taste and smell. When I did reheat the turkey, I did smell maple but upon eating it I could not say that " this taste like maple". Maybe I just have to be more aware of the differences and educate myself.

The food often taste better the next day. Has anyone else had that experience.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by car54</i>
<br />The food often tastes better the next day. Has anyone else had that experience.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As some of the cheese smoking gurus have stated, it allows the smoke to more evenly distribute throughout the product so that the overall perception is milder & smoother.

Yes, I believe this to be true, but you have to re-heat it very carefully to replicate the "just out of the smoker" moistness. If you can accomplish that, like chili, next day's is probably a better product. That'll never keep me from stuffing my gut full the night before, though.[:p][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Car54(love your handle),
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Here! here!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The food often tastes better the next day. Has anyone else had that experience.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wrong question for me to read LOL~~~! Go to this link and read the whole thread.  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=702

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have allergies and believe that it my be affecting my taste and smell.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Man I feel for you. I'm almost 55 now and few years back I got hit by a car that hits us so hard that the seats broke loose from the floor of the pickup truck I was in. My hearing has taken a beating ever since, and with each passing year the ringing has gotten louder. Now it is as loud or louder than the sounds I hear. So I can understand your fustration friend. I or rather my wife is just glad that accident did not effect another part of me~~~~heheh heh heh~~! So thing could have been worse.

There is a big differance in taste.  I still *cough-cough* use a green egg at times. There is a big difference between Oak and Grapefruit woods. Oak is my favorite for most items. Grapefruit is my wood of choice for grillin' steaks and fish.

Hope to see you post more often in the future.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

car54

MallardWacker, there is a story behind car54 but I'm interested in what thoughts it brings up to you.

Baldrick615

What do you think shows off Pecan's flavor the best?  I think it adds a nice nutty flavor (that does make sense at least), but I'm not sure I would want to risk that with some pork ribs.  What do you think works the best?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Car54(love your handle),

Oh yes Kemosobee.  I was going to give you one of those "does a Bear do it in the woods" type thing but I won't.  There IS a lot of differance, so much so you can screw up your project.  Now some maybe somewhat close like Pecan & Maple, but still you can tell.  Throw a couple pucks of Mesquite(The Devil's[}:)] Wood) and see what you get. The differance in wood can make a project from being a great hunk of meat to a one those that people rave about and think you have done it for years. Get a mixed box and check them out.  You will find your favorite.  My favorite right know is Maple and Pecan, these two woods can cover alot of different types of meat.  HTH and have fun.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">