Coca-Cola "Ham"

Started by bsolomon, November 15, 2004, 05:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsolomon

I saw someone posted a recipe for Coca-Cola Ham.  It was an interesting recipe, but it really wasn't a Bradley Smoker recipe because it relied on a pre-smoked ham that was baked in an oven with Coca-Cola glaze.  But the idea sounded interesting, so I did a little looking around and found many recipes, but all variations on that theme.  

I also found one recipe from www.razzledazzlerecipes.com that was based on using "fresh" ham (unsmoked/uncured pork leg) or whole boneless pork loin.  It used a brine and wet rub approach before roasting in the oven and glazing.  I figured this could be adapted to the Bradley with good results.  I thought the original wet rub contained too much "greenery" for smoking purposes, so I changed the wet rub a bit.

Here's my variation on Coca-Cola "Ham" for the Bradley Smoker:

1 boneless pork loin (approx 5 lbs.)

Brine:
1 2-liter bottle Coca-Cola Classic
1 cup kosher salt
8-10 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
3-4 bay leaves
3 Tbsp. crushed black peppercorns

Wet rub:
¼ cup fresh parsley
8 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tbsp. Turbinado sugar
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
½ Tbsp. ground black pepper
¼ cup olive oil

Glaze:
1 cup Coca-Cola Classic
¼ cup lime juice (2 limes)
2 cups brown sugar
2 medium jalapeno peppers, cut crosswise into ¼" thick slices

Rinse and pat dry the pork loin.  Prepare brine by dissolving salt in Coca-Cola, and then add garlic, bay leaves, and pepper.  Place pork loin into brining container, fill with brine, and make sure pork loin is fully submerged.  This recipe worked great in a 5.5 liter Tupperware container.  If you need a larger container or are using a plastic bag, make more brine as needed according to the same proportions. Refrigerate or chill in a cooler with ice packs for about 12 hours.

Remove pork loin from brine, rinse and pat dry.  Prepare wet rub by combining all ingredients in a food processor or blender.  The rub will be green in color. Place pork loin on a wire rack, coat all sides liberally with wet rub, and let sit out for about 1 hour while the Bradley smoker is pre-heating.

Cook at 200 degrees.  Apply 4 hours of smoke.  I alternated apple and pecan bisquettes trying to get a light, sweet smoke (adjust your choice of bisquettes as you see fit).  While the Bradley is still smoking, prepare the glaze.  Mix all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 7 minutes.  Once the smoking time has completed, open the door and spoon glaze onto all sides of the pork loin.  Repeat a couple of times, about every 45 to 60 minutes.  Continue cooking until the pork loin reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees.  Note:  Once the smoking portion is complete, you can continue to cook and glaze in the Bradley, or place the pork loin in an oven-proof dish, and place in a 200 degree oven.  This may make the glazing process easier, and you won't need to worry as much about heat recovery.

When the pork loin reaches 155 degrees, remove it from the heat, wrap it in foil, then wrap in a towel and place in a cooler for at least 1-2 hours.  Slice and enjoy.  Very juicy and moist, smokey and sweet.

Bad Flynch

People have been using Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, and 7-Up on ham for more years than I can remember. Interest in Dr. Pepper has been revived lately and would substitute well in your recipes.

B.F.
B.F.

Oldman

bsolomon,

Thank you for taking the time to write this out in such detail. Very nice.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Not only coke and what have you.  I have done them using Root Beer.  I did it in the oven though.  It was little different, it used a heavly browned rue and then the root beer.

BS, that simply sounds great!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

C'mon, there's enough southern boys on this forum. Let's hear the secret Moxie recipes![:p][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

bsolomon

No trouble.  I just thought the original recipes were a bit boring.  I mean, "Start with a pre-smoked ham," where's the fun in that?  The different sodas all make sense since you get both a flavoring component and an acid, which of course is really the basis for anything you would call a marinade.

The mother-in-law is doing the turkey this year, so I have to bring the ham.  somehting tells me there will be a lot of turkey left over once I lay this on the platter [:p]

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> "Start with a pre-smoked ham," where's the fun in that? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So I take it you have cured your raw ham? Then smoked it?
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bsolomon

Not truly cured, but it was brined.  As I said, at this point, it's not really a ham recipe, but was fabulous nonetheless.

Oldman

<font color="red"><font size="4"><b>bsolomon's  Coca-Cola "Ham" for the Bradley Smoker has been added</b></font id="size4"></font id="red">

http://rminor.com