Here we go agian

Started by Medic, December 30, 2007, 02:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic

Just got back from Cabela's, hope this one works, just started to season it. They were great at Cabela's had the new smoker waiting for me at customer service, just thought I go in and out but that proved to be hard 2 hours later. Too bad they are building a Pro Bass Shop much closer and its due to open in Feb. Will learn how to smoke electric and controlled on this smoker and hope to share some cajun and creole recipes with everybody, don't see those recipes much on the forum. Well thanks to Arc'sparks and Mr Walleye for the suggestions and sympathy. Get back real soon.

Ontrack

I hope luck is with you this time. I know how frustrating something like that can be, because it happens to me all the time. If it's something that needs to be assembled, I always end up short on parts, something's broken, holes won't line up...I'm sure you know the deal. Looking forward to seeing some of those Cajun/Creole recipes! :)

La Quinta

Yeah Medic!!! Me too!!! Yum!!

Mr Walleye

Keep us posted Medic and good luck!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Medic,
Hope all goes well.  Speaking of Cajun/creole, just did 10 pounds of tasso today.  You can make people stand in line in your yard for vac sealed bags of fresh smoked tasso.  You can also get free glasses of great wine if you knock on their door and deliver it.  Sure happened to me today.  Can't wait to see what you have for us from the cajun land.

KyNola

La Quinta

Hey KyNola...where are you living? Sounds like somewhere I want to visit!!!

KyNola

La Quinta,
I'm in Western Ky and love New Orleans and the food and life style that goes along with it.  I always got some tasso for you.  Come on over.  Got vac sealed bags of tasso in the freezer along with crawfish tails, shrimp and crab claw meat and lump crab.  Ya never know when a craving for seafood gumbo is gonna come over you.

KyNola

La Quinta

Comes over me all the time Ky!!!! Really...I love every kinda gumbo!!! I mean every kind!! :) :) :)

NePaSmoKer

Medic

Here is my Tasso recipe.

5 lbs Pork loin

Seasoning:

3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
2 Tsp Cayenne or To Taste
4 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp White Pepper
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

Mix the seasoning together well. Rub the seasoning into the meat, you want a lot on there, call it 1/8 inch, use it all. Place on a plate or tray, cover and refrigerate 3 days.

Before smoking put the Tasso on an elevated rack so that air can circulate around it, then put a fan on it for about 2 hours to dry it out. I also don't use a water pan when smoking Tasso, this is something that I actually want to dry out during the smoking process. You can use spacers under your bradley rack to elevate.

I use 9 pecan pucks @160* then just heat for 2 hrs @190*.  Make sure the internal meat temp gets to 150* within the last 2 hrs. Let stand at room temp for about an hour before slicing or cubing. Vac pack (if you have one) and put in fridge.

nepas

Mr Walleye

NePas... There goes that uncontrolled drooling again!  :P

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 31, 2007, 10:44:57 AM
Medic

Here is my Tasso recipe.

5 lbs Pork loin

Seasoning:

3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
2 Tsp Cayenne or To Taste
4 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp White Pepper
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

Mix the seasoning together well. Rub the seasoning into the meat, you want a lot on there, call it 1/8 inch, use it all. Place on a plate or tray, cover and refrigerate 3 days.

Before smoking put the Tasso on an elevated rack so that air can circulate around it, then put a fan on it for about 2 hours to dry it out. I also don't use a water pan when smoking Tasso, this is something that I actually want to dry out during the smoking process. You can use spacers under your bradley rack to elevate.

I use 9 pecan pucks @160* then just heat for 2 hrs @190*.  Make sure the internal meat temp gets to 150* within the last 2 hrs. Let stand at room temp for about an hour before slicing or cubing. Vac pack (if you have one) and put in fridge.

nepas

Didn't you use to put #1 cure in your Tasso?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/