Salmon

Started by stormdiver, December 31, 2003, 12:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormdiver

Merry Christmas[:D]
   Well i just did a batch of Bradely cold smoked!(50-100°F). First made a dry cure using 50-50 salt and sugar. rubbed some oil into the salmon wich was a farmed salmon, skin was left on one side. Then poured over the dry cure did not really measure this out, but say about 1/2" thick all round and cured for just about 3hrs.

When ready took it out and lightly brushed of cure and then smoked three biscuits (special blend). after this let it cool down for about 2-3hrs. Then cooked it on George Forman grill. since i did not think of washing off cure it was slightly salty/sugary on top but sugar caramelized on top and was fantastic also managed to leave some for cold afterwards also this was very nice. All in all I liked it like this but probably would suggest a quik wash and then a dry of an hour?

Also smoked two onions as well cut these in half probably should of wetted them as to absorb more smoke, as the onion soup was nice but was not tasting smokey at all.
hope your all well[^]
Scott

Stormdiver

Fuzzybear

I'm doing my first batch of salmon today...

marinade: (real simple)
1/2 cup salt (your choice)
2 cups brown sugar
6 cups water
(we like our fish less on the salty side and more on the sweeter side)

stir till mixed in a large bowl or pan.

Fish:
2 - 2lb fillets cut into 1 1/2 inch wide (across the fillet) strips

Cut fish into strips, place in brine and cover with a plate (keep all the fish in the brine)

Fish will soak for 6 to 24 hours - sorry, have not made my mind up how long I want to stay awake tonight!

Will smoke at 150-170 degrees for up to 4 hours with either maple or apple wood - have not made up my mind there yet either but I am leaning towards the maple since I used brown sugar....I'll let you guys know tomorrow how things turn out![8D]

9:30 p.m. Saturday night 28/Feb/2004
I couldn't stand it - heated it up, smoked 3 large trout...delicious...then....the salmon - 4lbs of it - it is the best I've ever had; the best I've ever smoked - the consistency is fabulous and I am one happy smoker with this Bradley!

Am I happy or what?  The salmon actually smoked for only 3 1/2 hours at 150-175 - I opted for the maple wood.  Soaked in brine for 6 hours...I just couldn't stand it!

Bassman

Fuzzybear, that looks absolutely delicious!Good job!I will be trying that recipe. Did your salmon fillets have skin on one side?

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Bassman:

Salmon was skinless...

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

DLT

Fuzzybear,
That fish looks great.I did my first batch of salmon the other day and was not too fond of the cure that I used.It was a boughten product,and was a little to salty I thought.I'm going to try something else next time.Maybe I'll try that marinade that you used.When you add salt does it make a difference what kind of salt you use?Regular table salt would be the easiest but is it the best?

Fuzzybear

I've used regular "Morton" table salt and I've used the fancy mined mineral stuff out of Utah (Redmonds) and to be honest, what I've found with my recipe is the longer you marinate, the more the salt taste there is. More of a taste than a flavor thing.

But I generally did not find a taste difference between the two when cooking with it.  I will however, say that I do prefer the fancy schmancy stuff sprinkeled on my dinner(This is where I find the flavor difference) - to me there is a falvor difference that I prefer - I don't think it's necessary for smoking though unless you find yourself to be a connosseur of salt.  I find myself creeping towards that end as I am busy searching for the fine French Stuff called fleur de sel...$9 bucks for 8 ozs!! (plus shipping/handling if ordered off the net)  Yikes - I won't smoke with it but I will use it!

Glendora, CA - USA!

DLT

Fuzzybear,
Thanks a bunch for the info. Do you have any experience with smoking cod?
DLT.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stormdiver</i>
<br />Also smoked two onions as well cut these in half probably should of wetted them as to absorb more smoke, as the onion soup was nice but was not tasting smokey at all.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Scott,

A pat of butter or a little drizzle of olive oil will make a world of difference. You did have them skinned didn't you? 2-3 hours of smoke & a moist environment = yummy!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

DLT:
No experience with cod - quite frankly, I hadn't thought of it!

I've just got the mindset that cod is best battered and fried with chips but it's a great idea and if you do it, post and let us know how it turns out!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Cold Smoke

Fuzzy, where did your pictures go? All I see now is a red X.

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

Me too?[:(]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

I don't know guys?  Mr. Admin?  Did something change in the format?
I think the place where I had them posted on the internet changed url's...

Glendora, CA - USA!

HowieG

Fuzzybear,

Finally got around to smoking some Wild Salmon.  Used your recipe.  My wife and I rate our cooking experimens with a Do or Don't "DO AGAIN."  The Salmon got a resounding "DO AGAIN"  Thanks.

HowieG

"RIBMAN"

Ribman

Fuzzybear

Ribman:
Glad you liked it!

Glendora, CA - USA!

nsxbill

Mr Fuzzybear

Thanks.  Tried you low salt brine and did about 5lbs of skinned Salmon Filets yesterday on the BS.  Using Alder and Maple combo 50/50, very pleased with the results.  Wife loves smoked salmon...Have to admit, I am not really a salmon lover, but this was pretty darn good!

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.