Baby Back Ribs

Started by wicz, May 25, 2007, 01:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

The 150 - is that cabinet temp?  Is it the door gauge or an internal temp gauge?  If it is the door gauge, your actual internal cabinet temp is probably higher.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

This is too late for your post but for future reference, several members have experience a dead spot on the hard right slider position.  Try backing the slider off just a touch.  What box temp did you preheat the BS to before loading it?  Taking the box up to 250 or more empty in a pre-heat is a good sign that you have a good setup going.  Let us know on your next endevor.  Also, the pre-heat is without smoke.   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

adboom

OK, Here's my plan for tomorrow morning's smoke...

Tonight I have in front of me two 5 1/4 lb 3 packs of babyback ribs from BJ's.  This is my first smoke with a Bradley, so I am going to use my old propane BBQ smoking method tweaked for the bradley.  Here is my plan (photos to follow)... I am going to wash them and remove any membrane that I can.  Then I am going to rub them down with extra virgin olive oil followed by a hearty patting of dry rub.  I frequently use Lysander's All Natural Meat Rub for Pork.  It comes in a 3.8 oz brown bag looking package.  I purchase it from The Fresh Market here in South Florida.  After an oil and dry rub-down, they get wrapped and put in the fridge until the next morning.

My plan is to eat at 5 PM (we will have a few young children with us and need to eat early).  I will take the ribs out of the fridge at 7 am and let them get to room temperature for 2 hours.  At 8:30 I will pre-heat the Bradley to 250 degrees.  At 9:00 the ribs will go in the smoker for 3 hours 40 minutes (11 pucks plus 3 buba pucks) at 205 degrees.  (I added the extra pre-heat temperature because of the time it takes to load the smoker, I figured I would looks about 50 degrees in that time.) I plan to spritz the ribs with extra virgin olive oil every hour (it keeps it moist way down deep).

At 3 hours and 3 hours 15 minutes I will pre-heat the oven to 205 degrees.  At the 3 hour 40 minute mark I will take the ribs out of the smoker, put them on tin trays, spritz with olive oil and cover in foil.  I will slow cook the ribs at 205 for 3 hours 20 minutes (7 total hours of cooking), spritzing with olive oil every hour.

At the 3 hour mark I will pre heat my BBQ on high.  At the 3 hour 20 minute mark I will put the ribs on the grill for a 15-20 minute crisp up. 

Sounds great on paper... I will let you know tomorrow how it turns out (with some photos).

Gizmo

Sounds great on more than just paper.  Should be fantastic.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

I think you have this one dialed in. Sounds great. Hope you can get some pics for us. Good eats adboom. ;D

adboom

OK... Here we go... Everything came out fantastic.  I will give you all the recipe with photos AND my secret mop sauce recipe called Alex's Jack and Coke Mop Sauce...

8 AM - Took the ribs out of the fridge (from my earlier post you will see that I cut the full slabs in half, gave them an olive oil and dry rub-down and let them sit over night in the fridge, each wrapped in plastic wrap) and let them get up to room temp.  This is important so the smoker temp does not drop too much upon them going in.

9:30 AM - Pre-Heated the Digital Smoker to 250 F (cooking temp will be 210, but you loose heat when loading up) and filled the bowl with BEER (not water).  Beer does not evaporate as quick as water and I love beer!

10 AM - Put the 12 half slabs (3 on each rack) into the smoker, loaded with 11 Bradley Pucks (Special Flavor (the mix)) and 3 Bubba Pucks.  I set the temperature to 210 F and set the smoker to 3 hours 40 minutes.  Average cooking temp is about 205 F (between opening the door to spritz and check).  Also the vent is 1/2 open.

On the top of each hour I spritzed with more olive oil to keep things moist.

12 PM - Spritz and rotate the racks top to 2nd from bottom and 2nd from top to bottom. See picture below... they are getting there!

1:20 PM - Pre-Heat oven to 225 F (cooking temp will be 205).

1:40 PM - Remove from smoker and put on trays for oven finishing.  Spray down with more olive oil and wrap trays in foil for steam. Cook for 3 hours 20 minutes at 205 F.

5 PM - Remove from oven, cut and enjoy!  They came out fantastic.  We had 12 half racks for 10 adults.  The secret to the serve is to cut all the ribs and put them on 2 serving trays and let people take what they want.  We had 3 left over ribs for all those people.  The perfect amount!

Here is the recipe for Alex's Jack and Coke Mop Sauce.  This is a thin - medium sauce that goes great with ribs, chicken and beef.  You can marinade or use it to mop or dip with.  If you want it thicker cook it down for a longer amount of time, as it simmers and the steam evaporates the water, the sauce becomes thicker.

1 Cup of Coca-Cola
1/2 Cup of Jack Daniels Whiskey
1 Cup of Ketchup
1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup of Worcestershire
1 Teaspoon of Liquid Smoke
3 Tablespoons of A-1 Steak Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon of Onion Powder
1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and bring to boil over medium heat.  Reduce to simmer about 10 minutes.  For thicker sauce simmer for 1-2 hours.  Makes 2 Cups.  Use right away or bottle, cap, bring to room temp then refrigerate.

Enjoy!  Alex

Consiglieri

NIIIIIIICE!  Ribs look delicious.

Machine looks darn clean; was this the maiden voyage?
Consiglieri

adboom

Besides the seasoning smoke, it was the first with food.  But don't you worry... It will not be the last!  I have big plans for this thing.  I hope it keeps up with my demands!

Mr Walleye

Good Job Adboom!

Keep up the great work and... Keep the photos coming!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

adboom : The ribs look fantastic!, great post!

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

Good job adboom. Thanks for sharing.

Old Smokey

Hello and thanks to you all you for the best ribs I have ever eaten!  I must admit I surprised myself!  I used Adboom's recipe above.  I rubbed the ribs with Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from Smoke and Spice by the Jamisons.  Put them in the refrigerator overnight.  I followed Adboom's times and technique.  Instead of olive oil, I spritzed with Apple Cider. After the oven time, I left them in in the oven with the heat off for two hours.  Then to the grill for 5-10 minutes.  Served the ribs with the Jamison's Stuttin' Sauce from Smoke and Spice .  They were falling apart and great!

Mr Walleye

Congrats Old Smokey!

Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together! Especially when it involves ribs!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Good job OldSmokey
Hard to beat a good batch of ribs. ;)