smoked turkey questions

Started by charlandk, January 05, 2008, 02:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlandk

Hi all,

I am in the process of smoking a 13.5# turkey.  I brined it in a solution of 2 gallons of cold water 2 cups of kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, bay leaves, maple syrup and a few other odds and ends.  I brinded it for 30 hours then dried it in the fridge for another 30.  I seasoned the skin and then wrapped it in buttered cheeze cloth.  I put in 12 maple pucks with three dummy pucks to follow.  I have a digital thermometer in it.  My question is what internal temp to I want and should I put my thermo in the breast or something thick like a leg.  It has been cooking for 5.5 hours and is now at a temp of 167 in the breast.  It seems too quick to be almost done (I am assuming that 170 degrees is done)  I was expecting 7.5 hours (aprox)

Please if anyone is on here that can answer me.....thank you!

Kevin

p.s.  it looks amazing now and I am getting very hungry.  I will try to post some pics later

Habanero Smoker

When I cook whole poultry, I go by 165°F measured in the deepest part of the thigh. If not your dark meat will be tough, and have a metallic taste (sometimes slimy texture). You can take it out of the smoker when the internal temperature reaches 160°F - 162°F. If

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

charlandk

OMG!  It came out awesome!  I will post pics and details after I can button and zip my pants back up!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: charlandk on January 05, 2008, 04:26:02 PM
OMG!  It came out awesome!  I will post pics and details after I can button and zip my pants back up!

:D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

charlandk

The turkey was great!  Everyone that tried it loved it!  I will definately be cooking the Thanksgiving bird from here on out.  I can not figure out how to post pics but I do have some.

Gizmo

You need to host the pictures on another site like Photobucket. It is a free service.  Up load your picture to the site and I would suggest using the 640x480 size option (message board compatible).  Once you have uploaded the picture to the site, copy the URL (click on the direct link box and it will automatically get copied into your paste buffer), then click on the button "Insert Image" that is just below the italic letter and above the winking smiley face.  Past the copied URL between the [img}URL GOES HERE{/img] IMG brackets.  Note the two inside brackets in my example were changed so you could see where the URL gets placed.
Good luck.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

charlandk

sounds like too much work for me.  I am some what computer retarded.
Thanks for the help anyways.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: charlandk on January 07, 2008, 09:12:52 AM
sounds like too much work for me.  I am some what computer retarded.
Thanks for the help anyways.

If sounds more difficult than it really is. It is mainly point and click. There is no typing, you just need to know were you store the photos on your computer, so you can upload them to photobucket. Once they are on photobucket, you just select the photo you want to paste in your post, the site automatically generates the code, then you can paste it in your post.

You should open an account of photobucket, and take a look around. Once you learn a few steps, the rest falls into place easily.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chevyman

Hey Charlandk i didnt know how to post either but this really makes it easy.i hope this helps.     http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4096
When in doubt........give it more COWBELL!!!!