Jerky Question

Started by weekendsmoker, January 09, 2008, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi there, over the last hour I have learned lots about making Jerky and have three questions please.....

1.  After the jerky has been in the dry rub, do you rinse it off or does it go straight in the BS?

2.  If you use a wet marinade, do you dry the jerky off prior ot going in the BS?

3.  I saw a post where the user pulled the water bowl out after the smoking period so that it cut down on moisture in the BS.  Is this a good idea?

Thanks for your feedback..... this is Jerky, Pulled Pork and smoked cheese weekend so I'm doing my homework now.

Jason.

Mr Walleye

1. If you are using something like High Mountain products for a dry marinade/cure there is no need to rinse the jerky.

2. When I use a wet marinade I don't dry it off. I usually set my racks on a cookie sheet as I lay the jerky out so it kinda drip dries a little. Other than that it just heads to the smoker.

3. When doing jerky and the smoke is complete you can empty the water bowl but you do want to put it back in because it also acts to collect any drippings as well. I used to do my jerky totally in the Bradley which turned out great but have since started to finish it in a Cabelas commercial dehydrator. I usually apply 1 hour 20 minutes of smoke then move it into the dehydrator to finish.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

charlandk

Hi Jason,

I made some Jerky recently.  I used a wet marinade.  I did not let it dry first and my Jerky came out pretty tacky so I would dry it first.  You can pat it dry with something like a paper towel or just put it on your racks and let it sit out for a while.

If you do the dry rub, do not bother washing it off.

I did two large batches last week.  I did one from start to finish in the BS and the other just smoked it in the BS then dehydrated in my dehydrator.  The batch that was done from start to finish in th BS did not dry as well or come out as good.

Try your best to slice both with the grain and as evenly thick/thin as possible or you will need to keep checking and removing the thinner pieces that finish earlier.

I did remove the water from the bowl and kept the vent about 1/2 open to get rid of the moisture.  

Good luck.  Let us know who it comes out.

Kevin

weekendsmoker

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll give it a go this weekend.

Jason.

NePaSmoKer

Jason here is how i make jerky.

4/5 pucks of wood of your choice, Thats 1 hr 20/40 mins of smoke @160/180*. CAUTION if you drop lower than 140* you can get bacteria growth on the meat if you have not used the cure package in the HM or added it yourself.

I use my own wet marinade and reveo it for 5 mins. Place on my BS racks for the smoke then right into my Cabelas commercial dehydrator.

If you do a full smoke in the BS you need to have the vent full open and no water in the pan. IE no water or moisture so the jerky gets done, Unless you like tender sticky jerky  ;D

Do leave the pan in to catch the pucks  :o

nepas