Leg of Lamb: favorite ways to prepare?

Started by Smoking Duck, January 05, 2008, 11:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

While perusing my local grocery store for some jalapenos for ABT, I noticed that Meijers had leg of lamb on sale for $2.99 a pound.  So, I picked up a 6 pounder.  Problem is that I've never done a leg of lamb.  I've always wanted to do one, so does anyone have any favorite recipes and/or suggestions/advice for a lamb newbie?  If I could find Mary, I'd ask her but I can't find her anywhere  ;D

Thanks!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

winemakers

I have never smoked a leg'o lamb, but I love lamb, but I typically braise it (sear in a scorching hot pan first).  Pick your braising liquid, I prefer a rich beef stock, along with some cubed root veggies, rutabaga, turnip, potato etc.  Low, slow, tender, juicy and delicious.

mar(k)

Smoking Duck

Well, I decided it was time to do the lamb.  I marinated with this recipe I found on here:

Marinade:
1 Cup Olive Oil
10 Cloves of Garlic Chopped(I use the preshelled kind from Sam's Club)
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Cup Apple Cider (Old Wolfgang recommends Pomegranate juice, but said to use cider as a backup if you don't have a bunch of pomegranate juice drinking liberals running around loose in your city and thus you can't find it at the store!)
3 Tablespoons of Sea Salt
A few shakes of ground pepper

I used the pomegranate juice (Indiana is conservative for the most part, but I found some anyways).  I actually had a bone-in leg of lamb but deboned it tonight and then tied it up.  I trimmed away a lot of the fat and will be doing the smoke with bacon in the tray above the lamb.

Do you suppose I should smoke as is or should I use a rub in addition?  If so, any clues on the type of rub or perhaps just some S, P, Garlic and Onion?  Just wondering.  Will let you know how it turns out.  No one else in the family has had leg of lamb except for myself, so should be interesting to see how they like it.

SD

KyNola

Duck,
Having grilled lots of racks of lamb, I would omit the soy sauce entirely.  I would opt for a traditional EVOO, minced garlic, fresh cracked pepper, salt and fresh rosemary marinade inside and out since you have deboned the leg.  I have never smoked a leg of lamb so I will be very interested for your take on the outcome and what smoke used and and how long.  Being a lamb fan, I would only take it to a medium rare internal temp.  Can't wait to hear your results.  I have a boneless half leg in the freezer waiting for me to do the same.  I'll be happy to go to school on you. :D

KyNola

LilSmoker

I have done lamb from this recipe at the Bradley u.k. site a few times now, and it's always turned out very nice, next time i'll put some pics up.

I cook it longer than the recipe states, as i like lamb a little bit more done, but it's a great recipe for lamb:

http://www.bradleysmoker.co.uk/recipes/collector/lamb/sb005.htm

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Smoking Duck

I will be smoking today.  I plan on smoking at 210* until an IT of 145-150.  I like my meat medium rare but the rest of the family likes it a little more done than I do so I tend to try and find a happy medium between us.  I plan on 3 hours of smoke and will probably be doing a 2-1 ratio of apple to hickory unless I change my mind.  I'll let you know how it turned out.

SD

KyNola

Thanks for the recipe link L.S., sounds good.  Good luck with the lamb Duck.  Will be waiting for your thoughts on how it turned out but I'm sure it will turn out excellent!

KyNola

Carter

Ditto on what KyNola said.  Thanks for the link L.S.  This is a good thread.

Carter

LilSmoker

You're welcome guys  ;)

We eat quite a bit of lamb in England, so doing it Bradley style makes a nice change from the traditional roasting.

Last time i did lamb in the BS, we served it with a feta salad, olives etc like the Greek/Turkish style, or sometimes with steamed vegatables, it very tasty either way  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

La Quinta

We just did a leg last week...marinated it in garlic, balsamic and rosemary for 2 days in the fridge...then to the oven...didn't smoke it...never tried that. Somehow doesn't seem right to me. We also do it like Marc(k) aka winemakers...with root veggies in the pan. Awesome...I'm glad to see LiLSmoker does smoked...(will go a long way with the hubby to know another Brit smoked lamb...he may try it now!!!)

Consiglieri

I love the adventerous experiment.  Looking forward to reading the debrief, paison.

And, oh yeah:  loved the cracks on Bradley's son's threads.  Had to put a bit of signature there myself. ;D

Did I mention that my father is a food products mogul?  My real name is Michael Nabisco Food Products, Inc.  Can I meet your sister?
Consiglieri

Arcs_n_Sparks