Twice smoking ham

Started by winemakers, January 08, 2008, 04:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winemakers

I have heared differing opinions on this, but I can only relate my experience.  Early in my BS'ing career (a lot of material to take a shot at me there I know), I purchased 'smoked ham' from the local grocery and was really disappointed.  Subsequent to that, and ever since I willingly add, when I find cheap ham on sale I buy as big a monster as I can, or several of them, and for lack of a better term, resmoke them.

I get a semiboneless (a term I personally think is like a little bit pregnant) and whack that sucker in to 1 to 2 lb pieces and crank up the OBS with hickory.  Three to four hours later, I have a product that is vastly improved and really good.  I dont profess that it matches the truly artisan hams, but at $0.99/lb when I do 25 lbs a whack = really happy daddy.  The overly wet/injected moisture content is reduced, and it actually tastes smoked.

We had scalloped potatos and ham tonight, oohhhhhhhhh.  Ham and eggs, ham in alfredo over pasta, etc. etc.  Several opinions have been voiced here that differ about "resmoking", but all I can say is the bargain hunter/pork worshiper in me is completely sated.

mld

NePaSmoKer

sounds pretty good and yummy to me  ;D

nepas

iceman

I just did a ham like that over the holiday. (I think I posted a picture of it).
It sure makes one nice tasting ham IMO. Ann said it was like night and day. She really enjoyed the flavor of the smoke and the meat was tender and juicy.