Definitive Answer For Vacuum Sealing Cheese?

Started by EnglishGuy, April 20, 2008, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnglishGuy

After several weekends where it has rained, I saw the opportunity to get the OBS out today and smoke some cheese and garlic before the weather gets too hot.

Since I last smoked a batch of cheese, I've acquired a vacuum bag sealer. I've had a look around, but can't find a definitive answer on when to vacuum seal the cheese. Some people suggest wrapping the cheese for a few days and leaving it in the fridge before sealing it. Some seal straight away, and some freeze.

I've simply wrapped most of it and put it in the fridge, but with a few pieces, I decided to seal them straight away as an experiment.  I can't see much reason for not sealing straight away as the cheese is going to 'mature' and lose the ash flavour, I would have thought, whether it is sealed or not.

Has anyone done a controlled test to see whether there is any point waiting a few days before sealing?

FWIW, I did my usual smoke of Gouda and mature Cheddar, but added a Mozzeralla, some Edam and chucked in a few large bulbs of garlic (and an onion as an experiment, although I don't have high hopes for this.

West Coast Kansan

Sorry Englishguy, I have done several cheese smokes and I still dont have a definitive answer but am not usually under enough control to be consistent.  ;D

I will bag them for a couple of days and then vac pack them.  No reason, but it feels right. I think cheese is pretty forgiving of most anything we do as long as we dodge heat .

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Buck36

http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/nutrition/BJ9644.html

Sounds like doesn't effect taste but does effect texture.

Ontrack

I don't know why, but I've always vac sealed mine right out of the smoker. I've always had excellent results, as long as I'm patient enough to let it "mellow" for a week or so. I went out this morning and bought 20 pounds of various cheeses, hoping to take advantage of the unseasonably cool weather we're having this weekend. Of course, it's rained all day. :( I may get a shot at it tonight...

manxman

Quotevac sealed mine right out of the smoker. I've always had excellent results, as long as I'm patient enough to let it "mellow" for a week or so.

I have tried it both ways and I can't tell the diference so I just vac seal mine straight away. Important thing IMHO is to do as Ontrack says here and let it sit for a week or so before sampling.  :)
Manxman

pensrock

I have never tried to vac seal right away. I guess the big reason is that so much of what I make is for other people and I figure they can do what they want with it. I never give it to anyone for three to seven days after smoking. This past winter I had done over 150 pounds. I have about 7 pounds of a real good NY sharp and about 8 pounds of other types to try to get done this weekend, maybe I'll seal it up to see if it makes a differance. I really can not imagine it mattering one way or the other. IMHO.

La Quinta

Cold smoked cheese...just a dream for us...already in the high 80's low 90's...going to 100 this weekend :( Have fun in that cool weather guys and gals...sounds lovely!! :)

manxman

Quotealready in the high 80's low 90's...going to 100 this weekend

I would swap your weather forecast for ours this weekend, believe me!! Wet and bl**dy windy..... AGAIN!.  >:( >:(
Manxman

Ontrack

Quote from: La Quinta on April 21, 2008, 07:53:55 PM
Cold smoked cheese...just a dream for us...already in the high 80's low 90's...going to 100 this weekend
I know we've discussed my love of the 80's and 90's (haven't been around too many 100 degree days). I packed my smoker full of ice and precooled it Sunday night, then loaded it up with 20 pounds of assorted cheeses. I kept as much ice in it as I had room for. The outdoor temps were in the low 60's, and my cab temp never got over 81, with 1:40 smoke time. If I run out of cheese this summer, then I guess I'll have to break down and do a cold smoke box.

La Quinta

Hey Manx...wet would be awesome...rain? mist? blowing H2O?....what the hell is that?...I'm a Florida girl in the desert...with an English hubby...we're basically screwed...but... gotta love the dry heat? :)

manxman

QuoteHey Manx...wet would be awesome...rain? mist? blowing H2O?....what the hell is that?...I'm a Florida girl in the desert...with an English hubby...we're basically screwed...but... gotta love the dry heat?

Boy do we do wet! >:(

How does your hubby find the weather in Florida compared to what he was used to back in the UK? I have been to Florida three times now and had about half an hours rain in a total of 8 weeks spent there!

Does he still complain about the weather!?  ;) :D
Manxman

La Quinta

Manx...can't get him to go to Florida...he's a desert rat! Think he had a little too much wet weather living in England...moving to Florida...he is a dry boy freak now!!! Oh yeah...AC works too!!! :)

Stickbowcrafter

I've sealed mine the same day with good results based on some advice here. The cheese turned out excellent. My daughters like to make homemade pizza here and the smoked mozzarella was big hit.

-Brian

Lefty_Smoker

I've always vacuum sealed my cold smoked cheeses right away.  I feel this traps in most of the smokey flavor and will result in a a smokier end product.