Help with pork belly, Please

Started by troutshack, December 14, 2007, 08:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutshack

I ordered 2 pork bellies to make bacon. I didn't know that they also include spare ribs ect. I was expecting 14 -15 lbs of belly to make bacon now I have 55lbs of pork belly and no idea how to cut it for bacon or anything else. Does anyone know where a guide might be that would tell me how to cut it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gizmo

Try this link to ask the meat man.  It is an interactive chart.  Sounds like you got a side of pork that includes the belly (side) and spare ribs.  When I buy a belly, it looks like the picture when you click on the picture labeled "side".  They are usually in the 10 to 15 pound range.  From what I was just told by the owner of the market I just bought a side from this week, it is better getting the smaller sides as they will be meatier otherwise known as less fat. 

http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cuts_interactive_chart.htm
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Hi troutshack;
Welcome to the forum.

This link may also be helpful. It's a pdf file. Although there is a lack of visual guide, the written instructions are very detail. Also try using the search "Pork Fabrication", for additional information on how to butcher a pig.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~kerthcr/370/lec%20notes/8Pork%20fab.pdf

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

troutshack

Thank you both, I got the belly cut today and am now on my way to some great tasting bacon. I hope !

NewBlood

I always ask for "fresh side" and clarify for use for making bacon. The butcher I get mine from usually runs around 8-10 lbs per side. I spent all day Saturday smoking 70#s and all day Sunday slicing. I had to put up another 25#s for new orders taken. I'm going to have to get a bigger smoker if this keeps up. I did get my hands on a commercial deli slicer for FREE. My father in law had one in storage so I got lucky. Best of luck and hope you dont get the bacon bug like I did.

acords

QuoteI did get my hands on a commercial deli slicer for FREE.
Wow, what a score! ;)
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

troutshack

Here is where I am now. One belly cured but not yet smoked. The second belly is currently in the walk in freezer of a friends restaurant due to lack of room here. Cured using the basic recipe from Charcuterie with maple syrup. I tried a few slices last night and it was tasty.Tomorrow I will rinse, soak it and smoke it with pecan.  Not sure what temp yet. Charcuterie recommends an internal temp of 150 but Ive seen many recommend a lower temp. Let me know if it looks right, cut right? looks like bacon to me.  :)

MallardWacker

"I Think" according to Alton (MacGiever) Brown that the 150 is the minimum temp for killing all the creepy things that may cause issues.  I don't think you will ruin it or make it any better by cooking to a lower temp

Anyway that looks great....me think it's doing fine.  Plus to me the fluid that I see makes me think the cure is doing it's job. Just a word about fluid....The amount of fluid can be different from one hunk of meat to the next depending on it's moisture content.  Just because you have just a little bit of fluid doesn't mean it's not working any better than if it has more.

I have made a paste of maple syrup and maple sugar crystals then spread it on the top before I have smoked...just a thought.  A lot will run off but it kind of makes a neat little crust/glaze.

WAR BACON!

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

Quote from: MallardWacker on December 29, 2007, 07:11:57 AM
"I Think" according to Alton (MacGiever) Brown that the 150 is the minimum temp for killing all the creepy things that may cause issues.  I don't think you will ruin it or make it any better by cooking to a lower temp

Anyway that looks great....me think it's doing fine.  Plus to me the fluid that I see makes me think the cure is doing it's job. Just a word about fluid....The amount of fluid can be different from one hunk of meat to the next depending on it's moisture content.  Just because you have just a little bit of fluid doesn't mean it's not working any better than if it has more.

I have made a paste of maple syrup and maple sugar crystals then spread it on the top before I have smoked...just a thought.  A lot will run off but it kind of makes a neat little crust/glaze.

WAR BACON!

Hey Mally, did you say "WAR BACON" or are you challenging us all to a BACON WAR?
I'm in !!!!!!!!!!

I might have to get the Duck Express to send up some B&P Maple again though, I'm all out.

E-mail you soon.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

Dang WHITE....you got a heck of an idea there....

Let me think about this...I will compose a new post and see what people think.

By the way how have you and the family been doing....?  I hope all is well.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...