Brining Salmon in Reveo?

Started by Zerolimits, January 09, 2008, 08:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerolimits

Hello all,

I'm looking to do some smoked salmon, and picked up Iceman's recipe for a brine from the site.  My questions are:

Has anyone brined the salmon in the reveo, instead of letting is soak for hours?

If so, how effective was it?

How long (time) did you 'tumble' each batch of salmon in the Reveo?

I'm looking at doing a total of 9lbs.

Thank you!
~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~

}=)))))))'>

iceman

My 2 cents on that would be "Don't do it" Salmon is really a delicate fish and the tumbling in my opinion would tear up the flesh. You could put the fish in the canister and vacum it but just don't tumble it. I'm guessing about 4 hours under vacum would do it. Just guessing though.

Habanero Smoker

I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of post from Kummock stating that he used the Reveo with salmon with good results. You may want to search his posts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

I agree with Habs... I remember reading it somewhere on the forum.

I'll see if I can find it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

I found Kummocks post.

Well, the Reveo arrived on schedule, just like Bill said[] I unpacked it, plugged it in, and decided to risk "cooking censure" with my wife by putting the Reveo up against her tried and true, never failed yet, marinated flank steak. After marinating one her way and one the Reveo way, I grilled and served both.....SHE liked the Reveo steak better!! [^][] So did I[:p]

With THAT under my belt, I decided to venture into "sacrificing" the best meat in the world....white King Salmon![:0] I marinated four 1" fillets for 15 minutes with Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sauce. My wife said it's the best grilled salmon she's had, EVER![^][:p][^]. I agree[:p][] Tender, juicy, with the flavor of the marinade throughout instead of just around the edges. Absolutely MAAH'vilous[:p][:p][][][^] My wife is SO pleased with what's come outta this little machine so far, that she's actually let it sit out on the counter for almost two weeks now[:0][^][]

I was originally concerned about the revolving Reveo drum beating the crap outta the meat and having it come out a pulverized mass of saucy fish pulp. It harmed nary a cell of the steaks.....the only difference visibly to the meat was that the color had changed from white to a brownish from the sauce permeation.

HIGHLY recommended addition to your countertop culinary appliances!  A+++ for marinating fish! THANX BILL!!!!

Now back to fishing stuff![][8D][]

Mr Walleye

Thanks Ice... I knew I read something somewhere.  ::)

It looks like he used the Reveo on the salmon then grilled it as opposed to smokin' it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Zerolimits

Thanks Hab's & Iceman.  I didn't find anything searching before I did the original post, but did locate it after searching Kummok.

I'll let you all know how it turns out...
~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~

}=)))))))'>

Habanero Smoker

Iceman;
Thanks for finding that. I couldn't remember how long he tumbled them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)