Thinking Pork Tenderloin and veggies for Sunday dinner....

Started by SmokinHotMama, January 23, 2008, 01:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Hey Mama...use that the oinky rub sparingly...it is potent!

As for OnTrack...he does does mint sauce quite often (with lamb) but he was intrigued by your pork idea. I'll let him put it on "his piece"...take a taste and I will commit to call you if it rocks...uh...yeah...sit by the phone kay? :)

Ontrack

SmokinHotMama

Life is too short...  Nothing but FUN!

SmokinHotPapa

what the hell we got nutin to loose, but I'm a little weary myself never tried mint on anything before, I'm just glad to be breakin out the bds it's been awhile, we've been in a deep freeze in upper PA and snow all the way up to you know what! I cant even get to the shed to dig that baby out but i'm gonna dig a trench this weekend and I will be prepared! I have a backpack full of bud light just in case I get hung up in there, I know I know just good thinking on papa's part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Ontrack

Hey papa, I'm not much on mint either. Like I posted before, the only other time I ever tried it mas in a mint julep and it sucked. And you may not like it on a PT. But I've turned about 8-10 people onto it since I first tried it, and they loved it. I guess it's a British thing, but lamb was the only thing I had heard of to put mint on, and I think it's a jelly instead of a sauce.
I did an internet search on "Colman's Mint Sauce" and there are several English food stores here in the US that sell it, and it's only $4-$5 per jar. I actually did try mint jelly on a PT when I was out of the sauce, but took one bite and threw the jar away. Too sweet! :P

Consiglieri

Speaking of mint-- and heads up, about to change focus of topic a bit-- anyone ever tried making Mojito Shrimp? 

(This recipe is attributed to Sunset Magazine; I haven't tried it yet)

Ingredients
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. peeled, deveined shrimp (21 to 30 per lb., tails on)
Mojito Marinade (recipe follows)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Mint sprigs

Preparation
1. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above cooking grate only 1 to 2 seconds). Meanwhile, put shrimp in a 1-gal. resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Seal and marinate at room temperature 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Remove shrimp, reserving marinade. Thread shrimp onto 6 or 7 (10- to 14-in.) metal or bamboo skewers.

3. Arrange shrimp on grill and baste with marinade (dab some mint and shallot onto shrimp); close lid. Cook until shrimp are just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn shrimp over, baste again, and close lid. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until browned but still moist in center (cut to check). Transfer shrimp to a platter, drizzle with lime juice, and garnish with mint sprigs.

Mojito Marinade: In a medium bowl, combine 20 chopped fresh mint leaves, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 thinly sliced shallot. Pound with a wooden spoon to coarsely crush. Whisk in 1/3 cup light rum, 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice, 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, 1 tsp. freshly grated lime zest, and 1 tsp. coarse kosher salt. Whisk until salt dissolves. Makes about 1 cup, enough for up to 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp.

Consiglieri

SmokinHotMama

I have to tell you....  That sounds WONDERFUL!  Thanks for the tip!
Life is too short...  Nothing but FUN!

Ontrack

SmokinHotMama/Papa, you guys made me crave pork tenderloin all week, so I picked up a couple today. One is bathing in Italian dressing, Dale's seasoning, Liquid Smoke, and a sprinkle of onion and garlic powders. The other one is wearing a coat of "Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce" (a regional product, I'm sure, but d@mn delicious if you like vinegar based and HOT), then rubbed down with Iceman's rub, creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, barbeque seasoning, and topped off with a thin layer of Iceman's sauce. And, yes Ma and Pa, I have the mint sauce ready, but I think I'll just use it on the first one. ;) Heat wave coming tomorrow (mid 50s), so a pre Super Bowl party is bound to happen! ::) Oh, yeah, also will be cold smoking the cheese early in the morning, so this weekend sounds alot like what you did last weekend!

Ontrack

Haven't seen or heard from Mama and Papa for a week or so...I bet they climbed on that big meat grinder and rode off into the sunset...