Smoking Shack <Ice Fishing shed> works great

Started by Smoke_Lover, January 11, 2008, 10:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke_Lover

Reading the posts gave me this ideal.  Living in an apartment and with limited fiunds.  I racked my brains and searched this site for ideas, for smoking in wet weather.  I running through the tests now but I cannot see why if won't work.  Bought this ice fishing shed at a rummage for $30.  Hope I did the picture right. First try and it did not come out on the preview.

Thanks again to all
Jay
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Smoke_Lover

Alllll RRRRight the picture worked. Here are a couple more:

You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Mr Walleye

Great thinkin' there SmokeLover!  ;)

I don't see why that wouldn't work. It keeps the wind off it. The only thing I would do is keep the Smoke Generator inside for storage just so you don't have problems with it advancing pucks when its first fired up during cold weather.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoke_Lover

Thanks Mike I will take your advice.  My first consern was to keep it dry in wet and/or snowy weather, and lugging it in and out.  What temps do you feel the smoke gen. would be safe to store in.  It doesnt get below zero often here in the midwest, U.S..  I think I can find a place in the apt. for the gen, but I smoke small amounts a few times a week. I am about ready to sell the gas grill. :)
Jay

Joan Baez

Smoke_Lover

;D ;D
Sorry, I need to learn to slow down and preview what I write. ;) I hope to store the gen. and all, together outside.  Or, do you think even moderate winter weather is to cold?
Thanks
Jay

Joan Baez

Mr Walleye

Jay

Our climate here in Canada is alot colder so hopefully some others will comment with a similar climate as you. Basically, the colder it gets the more chance of over working the advance motor & gears because everything stiffins up. There are a number of guys here that do store their's outside so hopefully they will comment. I have mine built into a heated garage (near the beverage fridge).

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

I keep mine outside in a "Vertical Tool Storage" shed year round...of course I don't usually smoke if it's under 20* out as I don't like to get bundled up just to go outside for 2 minutes to check or load/unload the smoker.  I'm in Iowa...

Gizmo

Quote from: Tiny Tim on January 11, 2008, 01:40:03 PM
of course I don't usually smoke if it's under 20* out as I don't like to get bundled up just to go outside for 2 minutes to check or load/unload the smoker.  I'm in Iowa...
Tiny is not a member of the Polar Bear Club.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I live in New York and keep mine outside 24/7, but I have the original not the digital. I don't have any grease on my gears, and do not use grease as a lubricant. I apply graphite for lubrication. I've had my smoker for 3.5 years, and during that time I have not had a very hard winter. Though I have used the smoker in temperatures as low as 18°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

I don't think 20 F will mess things up. It's always the 0 or minus 0 temps that have caused the failures up here. The advance motors I've had to replace have been on units that sat outside at 0 or less and they  put the power to the generator before letting the tower warm up and that killed the advance motor gears. I'd go for it if your going to keep to the 20 F zone. The only thing I'd worry about on the digital would be a condensate problem in cold weather when sun hits it and causes moisture to form on the PC board. They don't like that to much. I had digital controllers on some of my other smokers and along spring time when we got the freeze thaw thing going they all fried because of the moisture.