brine time?

Started by gillgetter, January 12, 2008, 08:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillgetter

For salmon, brine time seems to very from recipe to recipe. The longer the salmon sits in the brine the more brine it asorbs. Is there a way to visually tell when a limit has been reched and it must be taken out? Reason I ask is a am going to smoke some salmon. I cut the fillets about 2" wide and according to Kummok's recipe I should brine for 12 hrs. yet another site I read says 1 1/2"-2" wide strips should only be in brine for 2 hrs! Because there cut into smaller chunks, the total weight of all the salmon doesn't play a factor in the time.A big difference in brine time! The longer it sits the darker and firmer it gets, What is the perfect appearance we need to look for in the salmon?

Mr Walleye

Hi gillgetter & welcome to the forum.

I don't have much experience with salmon but I know everybody here raves about Kummok's recipe. If you do a search on salmon you will see everybody's opinion. I'm sure some of the other with a little more salmon experience will comment shortly.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

I have done Kummoks recipe on a couple of occasions and brinded over night for the 12 hours.  Comes out great.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Also brine times will vary in recipes do to the salinity of the brine. A lot of brine recipes are for preserving, which is no longer necessary, unless you don't have refrigeration. Today you will see a variety of brine recipes with varying salt concentrations that are developed for flavoring and moisture. I always start by using the times stated in the recipe and adjust from there.

I have also made Kummock's salmon. I started with 12 hours, and have adjusted the time to 8-10 hours because the salmon I get from Sam's is much thinner then the salmon Kummock brines.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)