Bisquit Button Stuck IN

Started by smokerinchicago, January 13, 2008, 01:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokerinchicago

Ok, i was getting ready to smoke some ribs today and waspressing the "advance bisquit" button on the smoke generator and it's stuck in and the advance unit keeps running. Any suggestions on how to un-stick this so it's not depressed all the time? Do i need to take the smoke generator apart?

Gizmo

Try a search on this forum.  There has been a post on this.  I believe one member glued a pull knob onto the button.  It might be possible to take a thin blade screw driver or other such device, and move the edges to allow the button to pop back into place.  You may also have to take apart the gen to get it unstuck.  I have a digital and the button is a membrane switch so I am only speaking from what I remember reading.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

This happens to me frequently. If you have long enough finger nails you can grip the edges of the button and pull it out. If you are a nail biter like me, you can use a pair of needle nose pliers. This happens to me so often that I glued a small plastic knob on my button so I would have something to grasp for pulling it back out.

PS
I forgot to welcome you to the forum.

Gizmo;
Yeah that was me who had to do that :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokerinchicago

Although gluing a small knob to my button sounds a bit.... it is a good idea. I've gotten lots of great ideas reading the forums. thanks

Habanero Smoker

What I used was the small end of a plastic push tack. I just cut the small end of the tack off with my Dremel, and glued it on. I used super glue, after cleaning the button with denatured alchol. I even use a red tack to almost match my button. :)

If you want a larger knob, then just cut off the metal tip.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mtlinda

I asked Cabela's customer service what to do about the same sticking button problem.  They suggested spraying it with something to see if that helped.  We decided to try a silicone spray.  At first it didn't seem to be working.  But after pushing and pulling out a few times, it seems to be working now.  I just did a turkey this afternoon and didn't have any trouble with it at all.
Linda

Gizmo

Glad to here it is working out for you Linda.  Hopefully that will be the long cure as well and you'll get to enjoy error free.
Keep us up to date with what you are doing.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

3rensho

I had a slightly different switch problem a while back.  I pushed the button (OBS) to advance a puck and the red button came out as normal but the pucks just continued to advance.  I pushed the button a few times to no avail and then power cycled the generator. After that everything was copasetic.  If it happens again I will replace the switch with a higher quality unit.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

iceman

On a few generators that I have fixed I found out they actually made the hole in the cabinet that the switch pops into to small causing the switch to stick. I had to remove the switch and file the hole just a hair bigger and everything worked fine after that.
If you still have problems I still have a switch or two with the wire harness left that I could mail out.

Zerolimits

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 14, 2008, 03:28:34 AM
What I used was the small end of a plastic push tack. I just cut the small end of the tack off with my Dremel, and glued it on. I used super glue, after cleaning the button with denatured alchol. I even use a red tack to almost match my button. :)

If you want a larger knob, then just cut off the metal tip.

Thanks Habs...I'm gonna give this a try, as I have the same problem with my button.
~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~

}=)))))))'>