sausage makers dream come true!!!!!!!

Started by SmokinHotPapa, January 15, 2008, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinHotPapa

10-4 on that, u guys are so helpful thanx much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KyNola

Good grief Papa!  Does that thing come with jumper cables?  You may have to have one of those starters they use to start the Indy cars! ;D  Tell us about your first adventure.  I am about to bust a gut to start making sausages, even bought a small grinder and stuffer at Gander Mountain but haven't ventured down the path yet.

KyNola

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: KyNola on January 15, 2008, 07:42:52 PM
I am about to bust a gut to start making sausages, even bought a small grinder and stuffer at Gander Mountain but haven't ventured down the path yet.

Don't worry, I started with a KitchenAid attachment to grind and stuff sausages. You will have fun! Almost like beer: a few key ingredients combined to have many different outcomes.

Arcs_n_Sparks

SmokinHotMama

Arcs...  I have to laugh...  We were thinking about going with the KitchenAide attachment, as well..  Santa brought me a 600 series Kitchenaid for Christmas and I thought it would have worked out just perfectly...  However, somehow we ended up with this big ol' grinder that you could mount for take off!  LOL  It is huge.  I don't exactly know what I was thinking, but I thought I could just add this to the counter  with the other appliances...   That baby barely fits on the counter!  LOL 

SmokinHotPapa and I are going to play around with a few ideas this weekend...  It should be a good time.  I think I might get online and order a few books.  Some of those "sausage" books are really cheap on Amazon!  We will keep your posted, I'm sure!!   ;)   
Life is too short...  Nothing but FUN!

Arcs_n_Sparks

My sausage library includes the following:

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing, Rytek Kutas (this is the Bible)
Complete Sausage Book, Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly
Hot Links and Country Flavors, Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly
Home Sausage Making, Charles Reavis

SmokinHotPapa

Do you guys think that the grinder i bought is to much trouble for stuffing sausage, its a 1hp from cabelas an seems like an overkill,does anyone else stuff with there commerical grinder, any input would be much appreciated thanx!

Buck36

Not to divert the thread but I have been looking for a couple of books as well. Is the "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn up there with the ones Arcs mentioned? Or is it not worth the money?

Motor Mouth

Hey Buck, speaking for myself, I like the Charcuterie book.  I have made a few things out of it and they have all been pretty dang good.  There is some stuff I never see myself making, but that's true of all my recipe books.

Buck36

Motor thanks for the input. I have heard mixed reviews so I was interested what people thought.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Buck36 on January 16, 2008, 12:47:48 PM
Not to divert the thread but I have been looking for a couple of books as well. Is the "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn up there with the ones Arcs mentioned? Or is it not worth the money?

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing is one of the better books to learn different curing methods in your home. I have a few books of curing, and some specifically for sausage, but I have to rate "Charcuterie" among the best in providing one with overall knowledge of how to cure meats and make sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 16, 2008, 01:43:02 PM

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing is one of the better books to learn different curing methods in your home. I have a few books of curing, and some specifically for sausage, but I have to rate "Charcuterie" among the best in providing one with overall knowledge of how to cure meats and make sausage.

I have to agree with Hab on this book. It has been very helpful for me.

nodak

SmokinHotPapa
I have a grinder like that as we cut-up our own beef. On the over-kill issue works ok for sausage, but snack sticks will have you pulling your hair-out, just pushing too much through a small hole.

Nodak

Arcs_n_Sparks

I have that book as well, but since it is not focused on sausages, I did not include it in the starter list.

KyNola

Hey Papa,
I fear we may have been busting you a little too much about your grinder.  Two reasons, 1. you're fairly new on the forum, and
2. grinder/stuffer envy.  You should try that bad boy out, have fun learning, don't worry if it doesn't work out like you want the first time and then let us know how much fun you're having.  I have had a much smaller grinder/stuffer that I bought and haven't had the guts to get the boy out since I bought it so what can I say?

Knock yourself out and let us hear from you!  Mama, will that grinder fit in an Escalade?
KyNola

La Quinta

Gotta admit...We use the KitchenAid...works fine for us. Need another kitchen doo dad like a hole in the head! But...that is one fine lookin grinder...stuffer...:)