New Member intro and new Digital Bradley Smoker.

Started by bullsi1911, January 14, 2008, 11:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neophyte

OK,

Tried the pork tender loins the other night and had to finish them on the stove top in a grill pan....simply didn't allow enough time.  Today I smoked a couple of Chickens after soaking them in brine for 18 hours.  Smoked them most of the day.  Used the smoked garlic in the mashed potatoes and sauteed broccoli tonight with the birds.  My oldest son said it was the best dinner ever.  Funny thing was I thought we wouldn't be able to eat the chicken as they had come out of the smoker very dark.  Anyways, I'm lovin' the smoker and can't wait to try ribs!

Thanks for the tip on the smoked garlic...it's amazing.  Have some extra to freeze and use later!

Lovin' this forum as well!

bullsi1911

Fired up the smoker yesterday and did my first cold smoke of some cheese.  They are 'aging' in the fridge in vacuum bags right now.  Outside temp was cold(well, central texas cold- 50 degrees or so) and windy, so I was surprised that with the bowl full of ice and another ice tray in the smoker it got to almost 80 degrees in the box.  I'll let you know how it turns out when I unseal the cheese this afternoon

Then I cranked up the heat and threw in the 2 racks of baby back ribs.  Went 3.5 hours of heat (220) and 2 hours of smoke.  The wife demanded a baste, so the last 30 min or so I basted with a commercial bbq sauce of known goodness (Jardine's 7J Ranch 'Orange Zest' sauce- I used to work for Jardine foods, so I know it's some good stuff).  The ribs, once again were exceptional.  Of course, by the time the ribs were done, I had a pretty good buzz going on so I ate WAY too much.

Ontrack

bulls-If you unseal that cheese today you may be in for a letdown. It needs at stay in the fridge for at least 3 or 4 days for best results. You'll have a strong "ashtray" taste after just one day. I just took some out of the fridge yesterday that I smoked over a month ago, and it's even better than the last batch I ate. It takes several days for the smoke to permeate the cheese, and the longer you wait, the better.

bullsi1911

Thanks for the tip.  I was just about to unseal it... I'll wait a few more days.

BTW, I have pics of the ribs:

Mr Walleye

Mmmm... Looks finger lickin' good Bullsi1911!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ontrack

Bullsi-If they tasted as good as they look, I bet there weren't any leftovers! Great looking meal there.

bullsi1911

Quote from: Ontrack on January 20, 2008, 08:41:00 AM
bulls-If you unseal that cheese today you may be in for a letdown. It needs at stay in the fridge for at least 3 or 4 days for best results. You'll have a strong "ashtray" taste after just one day.

Apparently, 2 days is not enough either.  I cracked open the bags and tried a little of each cheese.  The smoke was WAY too strong.  You could taste the smoke before you even closed your mouth on the cheese.  So, I vacuumed em back into the bags and will try again in a couple more days.

I did them for an hour in Apple smoke with the vent all the way open and two ice trays in the smoker.  Even though it was 40 degrees and windy outside, the smoker got up to 79 degrees but no higher.  Did I do this correctly?

Habanero Smoker

You did every correctly. I generally apply 2-3 hour of smoke, and the smoke flavor is well balanced. Now that it is vacuum sealed again, let it mellow out for a week or so.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

Bulls-I Told Ya! I Told Ya! ;D Just kidding, buddy, I did exactly the same thing. The cheese whizzes on here told me the same thing I told you. Did I listen? I had to  try it right off the smoker. Whoa! :-X. Then I resealed it and tried again after 4 days. Better, but still a little strong (the wife didn't like it at all). So I didn't touch it again for 3 or 4 more days, and that was it! Just gotta be patient. Now when my supply runs low, the wife will let me know that it's time for more. Your'e gonna have something delicious there, so keep those grubby little paws off of it for a few more days! ;) :D