new smoker

Started by gatormike, January 17, 2008, 03:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatormike

Hey there,

Long time eater, first time Bradley owner down here in Boynton Beach, FLA. Just got the 4-rack digital smoker delivered yesterday and finished seasoning it about 1/2 hour ago. Should be receieving 3 bubba pucks and a remote Maverick thermometer tomorrow and then its time to get down to some serious smoking. I've been monitoring this forum since I ordered my Bradley (and even before) and it seems like a great source of information/smokin' camaraderie.

Any ideas for my first smoke (nothing too complicated)? I was thinking of something like a turket breast but I'm open to suggestions!

Mike

Tiny Tim

Quote from: gatormike on January 17, 2008, 03:41:49 PM

Any ideas for my first smoke (nothing too complicated)? I was thinking of something like a turket breast but I'm open to suggestions!

Mike

Would that be one from a female turkey? ;)  Just kidding, welcome aboard.  I'd go with the breast after a simple swim (4-12 hours) in a brine/marinade of Morton's Tenderquick and water.

gatormike

Oops, noticed that typo just as I hit "enter" but I guess that's always the way. The wife is pressuring me hard for some pulled pork (her favorite) but that seems a but trickier than a simple turkey (there, I did it) breast. Thanks for the input. 

Mr Walleye

Hi Mike & welcome to the forum!

Here is a great thread on turkey breasts by StickBowCrafter.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6151.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Mike

I wouldn't be scared of doing a butt right off the bat. They are very forgiving and oh so tasty!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ontrack

Wecome, Mike. I agree the turkey breast would be a great place to start. Search for a post done 3 or 4 months by Stickbowcrafter. It is a no brine, simple rub recipe that is delicious, and as juicy and moist as any turkey I've ever eaten. That's the only way I do them now, only with a minor variance on the rub. I have one thawing in the refrigerator now for this weekend.

Ontrack

Oops, I should have read before I posted. There's the recipe link, up there! :)

Kane

I did a pork butt for my first smoke. it was easy and very tastey.

KyNola

Welcome Mike!
Pork butt is not all that complicated, nor is the turkey breast.  Another choice might be the rolled chicken breasts totally encased in bacon.  Look for Oldman's recipe for those.  The most important thing is to have fun.  You have just met lots of really good friends who are here for you.

Let us hear from you!
KyNola

Wildcat

I recommend trying to please the wife.  Butts are easy.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

gatormike

Quote from: Wildcat on January 17, 2008, 05:59:59 PM
I recommend trying to please the wife.  Butts are easy.

Yeah, that's sort of my rule of thumb. Things generally fall into place if I follow that simple rule...

Just got back from the store and this what I got: a 3-pound "young" turkey breast and a 5-pound pork loin (no shoulder roasts, unfortunately). Which should I do? Seems like you can use loin to make pulled pork but because it has less fat than a butt it might not be as juicy. Let me know what you (all) think.'

This site is great and I can't wait to eat my first meal from the Bradley -- the aroma just from "seasoning" the smoker was giving me hunger pangs...

brotheryyy

Hey Gator mike, im down in coral springs, not too far away. Good luck with those breasts.

KyNola

Mike,
This is 100% totally my opinion and the guys who really know will certainly come in behind me but I would not try pulled pork with a 5 pound pork loin.  I just don't see that working.  Short of making canadian bacon with it, I would simply season it up, throw some smoke on it, continue cooking it to an IT of about 145-150 and enjoy some nice smoked pork loin.  As for the turkey breast, I would brine it for 12 hours or so then season it up and put it in the smoker.  A suggestion for the turkey breast, open the vent all the way.  Poultry has a ton of moisture in it.  That moisture needs to escape from the smoker.

Most importantly, have lots of fun, have a great time and don't worry.  The Bradley will take care of it.  Let us know how it goes.

KyNola

gatormike

Quote from: KyNola on January 17, 2008, 06:33:27 PM
Mike,
This is 100% totally my opinion and the guys who really know will certainly come in behind me but I would not try pulled pork with a 5 pound pork loin.  I just don't see that working.  Short of making canadian bacon with it, I would simply season it up, throw some smoke on it, continue cooking it to an IT of about 145-150 and enjoy some nice smoked pork loin.  As for the turkey breast, I would brine it for 12 hours or so then season it up and put it in the smoker.  A suggestion for the turkey breast, open the vent all the way.  Poultry has a ton of moisture in it.  That moisture needs to escape from the smoker.

Most importantly, have lots of fun, have a great time and don't worry.  The Bradley will take care of it.  Let us know how it goes.

KyNola

Roger that KyLola. They had a 12 (or so) pound picnic roast at the store but it almost seemed too big for my 4-rack smoker. Would that have been better??

Brotheryyy, I have some good friends in Coral Springs. Nice for us it's January but still 80 degrees out right?

KyNola

Mike,
Again I will yield to the guys on this forum who have been around a long time but in my opinion, yep that 12 pound picnic roast would have been a good choice.  Too big?  If it won't fit nicely on one rack, cut it in half.  Just my opinion and there is tons of info on this forum from guys more qualified than me but I would take that picnic roast, slather it in regular old mustard, put your favorite rub on it, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the frig for a day before you are going to smoke it.  Day of smoking, preheat your smoker, put the pork in it and roll 4 hours of your favorite smoke at about 200-225 degrees.  For me it's hickory.  After the smoke period, there are lots of variables.  You can continue in the Bradley or wrap in foil and transfer to your oven in your house at the same temp.  Either way it is going to take several hours.  If you continue in the Bradley, don't forget to replenish the water bowl and reset your oven cook time to the max.  For pulled pork I want the internal temp of the pork to be at least 190.

Mike, knock yourself out and most importantly, have fun.  The guys on this forum are there for you and me.

KyNola