kummoks salmon how to know when done

Started by pensrock, January 19, 2008, 07:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MoSmoke

Could the moisture problem be due to just the volume of salmon being smoked.
Was the vent wide open? Was the smoker really level?
I would think if the cabinet is really level and the vent wide open cooking at the low temps would allow the moist air out the vent. I noticed the temp cables are routed between the door seal and the cabinet if it really cold out maybe air is coming in there and condensating and running down the cabinet. Just a few thoughts.
Maybe Kummok could jump in and let us know if he's had the problem with moisture.

John

The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

car54

I recall having a moisture problem once and it was due to a pin hole leak in the water bowl.

Brad

pensrock

MoSmoke, I only did three racks of salmon. The vent was not completely open till the smoking was done and the salmon was heating up to the 140 degree setpoint. The door seal seemed to close really well. I never seen any smoke leaking out around the wires, next time I'll run them through the vent. I just prefer them through the door so the trays are easier to rearrange during the cooking stage. Maybe I sould open the vent the whole way at the beginning but I like to choke it back to at least half way while the smoking process is going on.

Car54, I checked that the first time I had the moisture problem while doing some sausage. I even went so far as to line the bowl with foil for a couple runs. It seems whenever I try to hot smoke the problem occurs, cold smoking is never a problem. I keep thinking it must have something to do with the heating element causing the water in the bowl to boil/evaporate. But we have been down that road before and Bradley really has no idea what is going on.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm ready to try just about anything.

Habanero Smoker

Pensrock;

Sorry to cause you to do some extra typing. :)

I knew you had done all of the above in the past when you had the problems with the sausage. What I meant by my last post is; when you find out why moisture builds up in your smoker; no maker what you smoke let us know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

No prob. Habs. I know everyone wants to know the cause as much as I do. I'll have to fire another email to Bradley and see if they can come up with more ideas.

Kummok

Quote from: MoSmoke on January 22, 2008, 03:37:45 AM
......Maybe Kummok could jump in and let us know if he's had the problem with moisture.
John

Sorry for delayed response. Been absent for awhile....haven't even been able to lurk the 'Fish' threads but about once or twice since Oct. Still down in "America", more specifically Nevada, returning home To AK shortly, just in time for GREAT snow and hopefully great ptarmigan hunting......

That being said, advice offered up by HabS, C54, etc. is right on the money. I can only think of two reasons, in my own experience, for excessive moisture when smoking salmon.....not enough drying time (the #1 reason), or vent not open enough. From reading the posts and seeing the pics, I'd focus more attention on drying time....I go for firmer meat with definite dry pellicle, not tacky to the touch. A good pellicle/drying combination leaves the meat almost opaque. I rarely change the vent setting during the smoking process. Hope this helps you achieve your perfect salmon Pensrock!!

Gizmo

Pensrock,
Check for the deflector shield on the heating element.  This is the last thing I can think of that if it is missing can cause the excessive water evaporation of the water bowl.  Here is a picture of mine from a cold smoke setup.  It is positioned to deflect heat up but won't keep the heat from the water bowl and does not prevent boiling.  I suspect if it is missing the water would be gone in quick time.

Carter

Deflector Shield?

You flying the Millennium Falcon Han?

pensrock

Gizmo, The shield is in place but I cannot help feeling that it is not enough. I'm wondering if during the heat up from 80-100 to 140-150 that the heating element is on for a long time which is causing the water to boil? I opened the louvers as much as possible without tearing the metal, per bradleys suggestion. I just sent them another email asking for help.

pensrock

Kummock,
  Thanks for the reply and a huge thank you for the recipie! Everyone loved it, the guy who provided the king asked.... how many can you fit in there. I said, that depends... when are WE going to catch them. I'm hoping to get a fishing trip out of this sometime this year. He laughed and said for now he has plenty in the freezer. So I'm sure I'll be getting more very soon.
  The next time I do it, I'll allow it to dry longer, it was tacky and not opaque like you suggested. I used the Teriyaki this time because I thought the soy might be too salty. Which do you think is the best?
thanks again!

Kummok

Once again I find myself apologizing for delayed response, Pensrock :-[  Just got back home to Alaska last night.......

I'm with your friend.....at the current cost of fuel, I'm glad the freezer is stocked here at home! Catching Kings is a hoot, but if I could find a local fish monger that treated them the way I do from the time they are hooked up until they are frozen, I'd buy most of my fish, eat happily,  and save ton$!!  ;) ;D

You've asked the "which tastes best?" question and I can only say that it's always a matter of personal preference.....my own taste prefers the sweet/slightly salty taste of teriyaki.....my wife thinks teriyaki is too sweet (but eats it anyway ;)) I've also seen some great variations which include brandy, jalapenos, cloves, etc that  sound like worthwhile taste ventures. Lately, I've been supplied (by a GREAT friend ;)) with wild Alaskan Silver Sage that has me intrigued as to how it might add to (or detract from?!?) the great smoked salmon flavor. Don't really know (yet!) how it'd do with fish but it sure has enhanced the flavor of several other non-smoked dishes!

Gizmo

Nice to see you back on the board Kummok.  We missed you. 

Salmon Frustration:
Sign says:
Wild Fresh Atlantic Salmon.
Farm raised, previous frozen, product of Mexico.

What??? ???
How can it be wild and farm raised?  Must be one wild farm.
How can it be fresh if it was previously frozen?
How can it be Atlantic Salmon if it is a product of Mexico?  I guess we had a tectonic plate shift recently that went unnoticed by everyone except Mexico. 

Sure like to see some regulation on this one.

Kummok

Good to be back home, Giz!

As far as the Atlantic Salmon signage....it's all soylent green anyway so they can label it whatever they want!   ;) ;D :o

Wildcat

Quote from: Kummok on February 28, 2008, 01:14:47 AM
Good to be back home, Giz!

As far as the Atlantic Salmon signage....it's all soylent green anyway so they can label it whatever they want!   ;) ;D :o

:D That is a show I have not seen in a long time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/