movies

Started by car54, January 19, 2008, 08:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I just watched a movie and was impressed by it. A nun's story with Audrey Hepburn made in 1959. She is one of my favorite actresses. I like all types of movies with a good story. What movies impress Bradley smoker forum members?

Brad

Ontrack

Up in Smoke, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Porky's, Animal House :D....not really (well maybe when I was a teenager). I'd have to say Tombstone is one of my all time favorites.

car54

Ridgemont high and porky's were good. Another favorite of my is Valley Girls. The music was great. Ridgemont high reminds me of my high school days

Scotty-G

Highlander is my favorite.

But if we're going with more of the classics - tie between Gone with the Wind and Ninotchka.

Consiglieri

Geez, if Audrey is the nun, Gregory Peck must have been the soldier.  I liked this movie.  I was surprised, to tell the truth.  But I like any WWII movie and this one had a lot to offer.  I think the movie was a Nun's Story.  And as I'm about to post I see that Car54 actually mentioned this movie by name (should be paying more attention).

My favorites-- I love movies, but here's an over simplification:
Godfather (and II), hence the handle
Apocalypse Now
Blazing Saddles (and most other Mel Brooks movie)
Master and Commander
Breaking Away (the bike movie)
The Great Escape
Casablanca

FYI: I like Highlander, but IMHO, the rest of the series suck.  And of course love the Porky's (how can't you on a smoker site), Animal House, etc.  Just waiving the colors for the favorites. 
Consiglieri

HCT

The Wizard of Oz. Still watch it when it comes on tv. I can't wait until the grandkids are a little older to watch it. :)
Oh yeah, The March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel & Hardy. Those 2 were the best.
Showing my age. hahaha
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and many other Sci Fi's, Highlander, M.A.S.H. most westerns, and most movies that carry a lot of meaning.  Not fond of comedies that get too far on the stupid side.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

acords

The Outlaw Josey Whales, Caddy Shack, All Mel Brooks movies, Ronin, Die Hard, Sneakers, Get Shorty, Airplane and most John Wayne westerns.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

car54

After watching The Nun's Story yesterday, I watched Good Bye Mr Chips. What an A1 movie. I have never seen it before. Usually I do not watch 2 movies in a row but they were both excellent.

Sci Fi   The Day The Earth Stood Still was the movie that got me going on Sci Fi along with The War Of The Worlds. The Day The Earth Stood Still is still a very current movie. I watched it at an art theater 2 months ago for free. Don't forget about Dune

How about The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster, Come Back Little Shepa, with Burt Lancaster and Shirley Booth, Papa's Delicate condition with Jackie Gleason, Pi and The Never Ending Story. I could keep going on but I won't.

Do you remember the movies that Don Knots made?

Here is an excellent site for researching movies. The Internet Movie Database

http://us.imdb.com/

Brad

Consiglieri

I thought I was the only person who liked Pi.

As for Sci Fi, Mystery Science Theater 3000 used to crack me up

John Wayne movies: my favorites are The Searchers and In Harm's Way.
Consiglieri

car54

Mystery Science Theater 3000  would crack me up also. What a great show. One of my favorite TV series was Twin Peaks. The music was great in that show. Another good one was The Avengers out of England.

Brad

Scotty-G

If we are going from movies into TV - it's not too difficult to guess one of mine . . .

Dr Who - the longest running sci fi series ever - been running since 1963

Also up there is Enterprise, Good Eats with Alton Brown and Battlestar Galactica (both the original and the new)

Heard about MST3K but never really watched it.

coyote

Westerns are my favorite. John Wayne , Jimmy Stewart , Kirk Douglass , and the like.

But my single  #1 of all time is " It's a Wonderful Life"......not a western...go figure.

car54

One Sci Fi movie that I really like is The Lathe Of Heaven made in 1980 was the same titled book by Ursala Le Guin.
It is a low budget movie made for PBS I believe. I think that there is also a newer version.Here is a link.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0081036/.

One neat Sci Fi movie that gets you thinking. Here a a brief comment from someone else and I whole heartily agree.

Science fiction is a literature of ideas. Science fiction movies, however, are usually typified by their lack of ideas (although often fun for all that).

The novel "The Lathe of Heaven" was chock full of ideas, and the movie didn't sell the book short. Just about everything in Le Guin's vision about how the road to, uhhh, insomnia is paved with good intention came right across in this TV movie adaptation. I wish I could see it again.

Science fiction wouldn't have such a reputation for silliness if other movies took such pains to match the quality of "The Lathe of Heaven's" intellectual effects instead of matching "Star Wars's" special effects.

Brad

Tiny Tim

Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Out To Sea
Down Periscope
McHale's Navy (with Tom Arnold)
Police Academy
Police Academy 2
Police Academy 3
Police Academy 4
Police Academy 5