LOX

Started by La Quinta, January 21, 2008, 07:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

I have looked at Whitetailfan as well as SpyGuy's recipe and have 2 questions...first off I have never done cold smoked salmon in the conventional sense. Have done a ceviche like marinade and then "cold smoked" and made into a spread with cream cheese and sour cream and "other stuff". But...2 very big differences between their recipes is Whitetail does dry cure only and SpyGuy does both dry and wet cures. That is question number 1. Question @ is...Whitetail says he kept the temp below 100 F at all times...and Spy says if it gets above 80...the fish is ruined. I bought 2lbs of salmon to try it but am looking for help?   

Gizmo

Kutas recommends below 85 to 90. Tarantino recommends below 90.  Ruhlman/Polcyn say 54 degrees but define cold smoke to technically be below 100 deg and cold smoked salmon should never go above 90.

I would say go as cold as you can (understading you are in the desert and not Canada, Alaska, or Greenbay), stay below 80 and you will do great.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

OK...thanks Giz...I'm gonna try...

tsquared

Like Giz says except you can bring it up to just under 100 for the last 15 minutes or so which has the effect of bringing a little oil to the surface giving the fish a nice "polished" look.
T2

La Quinta

T2...I only smoked for 2 hours...might do it for 3 next time...wasn't as smokey as I like...but a success none the less. Temp never got above 77F. I was quite thrilled with that alone!! Wish I had read your post before last night when I smoked! Oh well...it was a dry run anyway! Tastes wonderful...perfect texture.