Pulled Pork, outside temp & BS temp - help

Started by weekendsmoker, January 22, 2008, 08:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi all,

I just put in two 7 lb chunks of pork and the unit is in my garage with the door cracked to let some of the smoke out.  They are calling for -20 tonight with the wind chill, should I be raising the temp in my BS to compensate for the cold outside temp?  Or just leave it knowing it may take longer.........it's at 220 now.

Thanks.

Gizmo

I will sumize that you are not using a remote thermometer inside the box to help monitor the actual temperature you meat is experiencing.  You will want to maintain your desired box temperature regardless of the the outside temperature and a remote thermometer can help you with that.  If you need to raise the set point temperature to maintain your desired box temp, then yes you should increase it.  Unless you have verified your door thermometer (original) or digital readout is very close to the temp the meat is experiencing, you my find a difference in the actual temperature especially in the begining.  As the meat and box temperature get closer together, the variation in temperature will lessen.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/