Smoked Bourbon Salmon (Pics)

Started by Zerolimits, January 23, 2008, 07:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerolimits

Thanks to all the folks that responded to my question about marinating salmon in the Reveo before smoking.  I did 9lbs. of salmon, in two separate batches, tumbling in the Reveo for 20 minutes.  Fish came out relatively unscathed and still firm.  It was the farm-raised stuff that I purchased at Costco.

The marinade was something that I just concocted cause it sounded good.  A mish-mash of other recipes out there, and I added the bourbon!!

1 3/4 Cups water
1 Cup Teriyaki Sauce
2 Tablespoons sea salt
2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 Tablespoons bourbon (Knob Creek
I let the pelicle form for about 5 hours out in the garage.
3hrs 20 min of Alder

It was pretty cold here last week (single digits), so I was struggling with the PID keeping an accurate temperature.  I tried keep the cabinet at 150 for 3 1/2 hours, then ramped up to 180 for 2hrs.  Don't think I was completely accurate throughout though due to the outside temps.

Here's the marinated, loaded racks in the OBS 4 shelve.  As you can see from the pic, the TC for the PID is on the right, and I was also monitoring the temp with the Maverick RediCheck (on the left).

Here's a rack of the finished result.

I'll definitely try this again.  It came out pretty tasty.  I was worried b/c the Costco salmon didn't have any skin on the filets, but I don't think this effected it much (I did a trial run back in the fall...1 sockeye filet with skin-on - No Reveo though, just brined).

I put all of the marinade in the Reveo at the start, and put in a half batch of the salmon.  Took that fish out, and added the 2nd batch of salmon.  When I took the 2nd batch out, the marinade had gotten pretty thick, so I had to wipe some off each piece.  Next time, I might need to add more liquid (water, bourbon?) or cut back on the dry ingredients.  Any thoughts on this from the forum?

Thanks...and a big thank you to Olds for helping me get set up to post pics!!

ZL
~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~

}=)))))))'>

tsquared

Habanero Smoker

The salmon does look good, and thanks for posting the recipe.

Just a thought. The only suggestion I have would be to divide the marinade in half and add unused marinade for each batch. That would give you 1.5 Cups of marinade per batch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)