Smoked Pineapple for Chutney

Started by hollyandtheivybhx, March 12, 2008, 12:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollyandtheivybhx

Hi again has any forum members smoked "Pineapples" and "Mangos" or any fruit ? As you know I am new to this forum and new to the Bradley, but since finding this forum I am getting plenty of ideas. I have up to now being smoking using a Brinkman hot smoker with great success smoking the basic ingredients for my new range of Chutney products for my diverse Chutney & Preserve business www.hollyandtheivy.co.uk  ::). The only issue I have found that with thick skinned ingredients the smoke tends to consentrate in the "skin" that I throw away (I HAVE EVEN TRIED PUTTING THEM IN A MUSSLIN BAG AND PLACING THEM IN THE CHUTNEY WHEN BEING COOKED TO TRY TO GET THE TASTE OUT OFTHE SKINS) and does not penatrate the flesh very well  :(, thus the reason for buying the Bradley as I was thinking of peeling the fruits and cold smoking then as cold smoking hopefully will not "dry" them up (or am I totally wrong) as this is smothing I cannot do with the HOT PROCESS as I would be left with burnt sinders. Any times or tips forum members may have on smoking any fruit would be appresiated as according to Usefullstuff my supplier in the UK I am at present to their knowledge the only person attempting to smoke this type of food in the UK.

Thanx Lin

Habanero Smoker

Hi hollyandtheivybhx;

Welcome to the forum.

I have smoked dates, but as you know that is a dried fruit. Well tomatoes also; it is a fruit but most don't think of it that way. :)

It seems cold smoking would be your best option. The pineapple I believe would definitely need to be peeled first. The skin is about as thick as smoke will penetrate; if it could penetrate that skin. The skin of mangoes is much thinner, so I would first try smoking them with the skins on, and if that didn't work try peeling. I know when I cold smoke, even hot smoke, vegetables (peppers, eggplant, squash); with the exception of acorn squash the smoke does penetrate the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Hmmmm.  Mango is my favorite fruit.  Never dreamed of trying to smoke one.  Unfortunately for me they do not grow in my area of Florida and the ones I have easy access to in local stores get ripe on the shelf which leaves a lot to be desired regarding taste.  Let us know how your experiment goes.  I have an interest in the Mango.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

You might want to cut your pinapple and mangoes into smaller pieces and place them on smoker screens (non-stick jerky screens) with small holes.  Cold smoke for 20 minutes.  With more surface area being exposed to the smoke you can reduce your smoke time and therefore your cost as well.  8 to 12 racks (depending on if you have a 4 rack or 6 rack smoker with the second set inverted) at 20 minutes of smoke and you should have a great smoke flavor with nice juicy pieces.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

hollyandtheivybhx

Well !!!!

Here is the first attempt at the Pineapples which I have to say save come out GREAT !!! :D. I used Applewood as the smoke and cold smoked them complete for 7 hours initially then gave them a further 1 hour, so 8 in all. They are now turned into Smoked Pineapple & Lime Chutney with others being produced as we speak !!!!. See our full range of products at our WEB Site at www.hollyandtheivy.co.uk. Unfortunatly postage is only applicable in the UK, but for overseas orders please send your requirements via e-mail to [email protected] for cost and postage.

Whole Pineapples after 5 hours in smoker

Pineapples with skins removed

3rensho

Quotebut for overseas orders please send your requirements

Does overseas include the continent?  Switzerland to be specific.

Cheers,

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

hollyandtheivybhx

Unfortunatly yes this means anyware our of the UK. To post 3 jars of our chutney to you in Switzland would cost £29:00 UK pounds  :(

Regards

Lin

3rensho

Yikes, that's too bad.  I'd have liked to try some.

Cheers,
Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.