Anyone have a recipe for Cheese and Jalapeno Brats?

Started by Jimbo, January 26, 2008, 10:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

I'd like to try to make some...anyone have a recipe?

Thanks.

RocMo

i've been looking for the same thing, i'd love to know how others make them.  i was just planning on adding japs and cubed cheese to the brat recipe i use but not sure how that'd work. 

La Quinta

Ya know what Jimbo and RocMo...if you get a recipe...I'd love to have it...maybe contact NePas...he is sausage guy deluxe and if he doesn't have a recipe...he could probably figure one out for ya!!!

winemakers

As a sausage dabbler, I would suggest a 5lb test run by the seat of your pants.  Grab your favorite recipe, be it brats or italian sausage for off axis seasoning (salt, cure #1, black pepper, etc) and experiment away!  Many are available on the recipe site

Probably seed and devein you peppers, dice finely.  Finely shred your cheese, and I would suggest a sharp chedder or otherwise strong cheese.

Then the fun part, mix and match.  Grab a pound of your meat of choice, and I would suggest staying with either straight pork but or an 80/20 mix of lean and fat.

Start with perhaps 4 oz per pound of cheese to meat, and as much diced pepper as looks correct.  I would taste the jala's first to gage the heat level.

From there, stuff into 32mm to 38mm casing and use smoked or fresh as decided early with the inclusion of cure #1 or not.

My only true must do is ...... write it down.  Otherwise a smash hit recipe gets lost, and if it isnt what you envisioned, quietly discard that scrap of paper and give'r another go.

NePaSmoKer

Here is an easy Brat recipe. You can add any items you like to make it hotter and the like.

7 lbs lean meat             
1 1/2 lbs. lean pork butt
1 1/2 lbs. pork fat
Or 10 lbs. of Ground Pork Butt
4 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons dextrose
1 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
1 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flavor binder 86, or 1/2 cup non-fat-dry milk
prepared 33-36MM hog casings

If you decide to smoke this add 2 teaspoons
curing salt to the meat/seasoning mixture before
stuffing into casings.

1. Grind meats and pork fat together through medium plate (3/16") one time or use 10 lbs. ground pork
2. Combine ground meat  with remaining ingredients; mix/knead well.
3. Taste test by frying a small quarter-size patty to see if you approve of the flavor is.  Make changes if needed.
4. Carefully stuff the sausage mixture into the casing, filling the casing snugly but not so tight it will burst open during the linking process.   
5. Form sausage links by pressing the filled casing gently with your forefinger and thumb and twist four or five times in one direction, repeat and twist in the opposite direction.
6. Another option is to shape sausage mixture into patties or use bulk style.
7. Cook, fry, bake or broil just as you would any fresh pork sausage.
8. For venison you can grind together 8 1/2 lbs. of trimmed venison and 1 1/2 lbs. of fresh pork fat for the above recipe.

Note: Dextrose can be found in some stores that sell bulk spices and baking ingredients.

Hope this helps you some.

Enjoy

nepas

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

3rensho

Here's a link from Len Poli's site -

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Kasewurst.pdf 

add some JalapeƱos and that's a starting point for testing.  There are a few other cheese containing sausage recipes there as well.

Tom

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Jimbo

Thanks for the help guys.  Below is a post from another forum that I found:

Quote5 lbs pork butt
1/2 lb pork fat
medium grind for meat, fine grind for fat

10oz block of sharp cheddar, shredded
16oz jar of pickled jalapenos, chopped
(Mrs. Renfros is great if you have that brand)

3Tbl Kosher salt
1Tbl black pepper, ground
2Tbl tomato paste concentrate
Mix salt, pepper and tomato paste with 2 Tbl cold water until dissolved/well mixed.

Combine meat, fat, cheese, jalepenos and spice mixture together until well mixed. Stuff into 33-35mm casings.

Grill and enjoy. I made these for the 1st time this summer and they were a huge hit. You could easily leave out the extra 1/2 pound fo fat if you are so inclined.

Enjoy!

acords

Here is the basic Brat recipe I use.  Good for 5 lbs of pork.  I don't remember where I got it from, so I cannot give proper credit.
QuoteBratwurst

1 tsp salt (pickling)
1/2 tsp Onion Salt
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 tsp Parsley
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Celery Seed
1/8 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Mace
1/8 tsp Cardamon
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!