Quality Slicer

Started by Consiglieri, January 26, 2008, 04:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

Wound up buying a slicer on Superbowl Sunday for the pastrami, a $99 Waring stainless model.  Actually a pretty fine unit for the price.  No problems making thin slices and the power didn't bog down at all.  130W motor; same as the Cabela's 1/4HP.  Blade is only 7.5 inches though. 

Here's a link to the model:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12868162&RN=438

Thanks to all for the input. 
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

when you take the blade off be carefull of the little black ring of plastic. The tabs will break and it will be a problem keeping in position. This is one of the meat spinners ... carefull again.

Anyway it will work.  I used the same or similar before the Cabellas.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Consig, You'll get some mileage out of that as well.  I will warn you as well.  The plastic screw holding the blade on does not like the garbage disposal.  A few seconds in there and it has a hard time holding the blade on tightly even after trying to take all the disfigurement out.   8) 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Consiglieri on February 04, 2008, 04:40:10 PM
Wound up buying a slicer on Superbowl Sunday for the pastrami, a $99 Waring stainless model.  Actually a pretty fine unit for the price.  No problems making thin slices and the power didn't bog down at all.  130W motor; same as the Cabela's 1/4HP.  Blade is only 7.5 inches though. 

Here's a link to the model:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12868162&RN=438

Thanks to all for the input. 

Looks exactly like the Deni slicer that I bought from target.com.  I just wish the blade was a little thinner...or not "serrated", or something.

Consiglieri

Noticed that plastic ring when cleaning.  Didn't have the spinning problem with the pastrami, but I'll be careful

Giz: metal screw reverse threads, but I imagine the disposal could damage those just as easily.

Tiny: have you had any issues with yours? 
Consiglieri

Tiny Tim

Only thing I've noticed is that it doesn't quite cut thin enough for Dad, but he likes to be able to read through his meats...I prefer to taste what's there.......oh yeah, it don't wash itself either. :D

Stickbowcrafter

What's the stroke length on those $99 models? Doesn't look like a slab of bacon would fare well on those...

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

I have a similar model. It's the same slicer but with a different name, and I think the draw is about 8", neither bacon or pastrami fares well on it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

confess that stroke is limited to 7 inches.  Means that the pastrami was too wide.  Bacon would be too.  I weighed the pros and cons of this model (together with its immediate availability for the superbowl sandwiches) and find it well suited for use every 1.5 months.  Pastrami will be cut for sandwiches, so slicing the brisket in two wasn't a big deal; still could "shape" the cut to slice cross grain.  With bacon, I think I wouldn't want to half the belly, so this machine may not be right for that project.  Cut the meat very thin and I think it will work well with tenderloin, pork loin, and any other meat that fits the stroke (salami, turkey breast, cheese, etc.).  Slices up to about .5 inches thick.  I think it will slice down to 1/32 of an inch.  Power doesn't seem to be a problem.

If you're opposed to handwashing, this is not the machine for you: according to the manual, none of the parts are for the dishwasher.  That said, surface area is very accessible and blade removes easily (one reverse threaded screw).  Stroke arm is fixed to a rail, but easily flips up so that all surfaces can be cleaned.

With cuts like NY Strip or Prime Rib, I'll be carving anyway.  For my use, I think this machine was a good fit at the price.  Not the plastic model with the "ginsu" blade; Not the commercial end with the higher price tag.  I liked the Chef's Choice models available through Williams Sonoma and Cabella's, but with my frequency of use, the price was a bit high and hard to justify.  No doubt those are good machines. 

Cheers.
Consiglieri

Gizmo

Consig
Thanks for the write up.  Wish all the slicer models out there came with details that count as you described.  Sure would help the consumers make their choices.

Consiglieri

Consiglieri

Gizmo

Consig,  WCK:
I must thank you for my new birthday present.  It came early but sure is appreciated.

Actually what I am saying is, it is a good thing to allow the better half to listen in on your conversations and posts once in a while.  Especially when you are talking gadets.

Mrs Gizmo ordered the Cabelas Chef's Choice and it arrived today.   :)

Looks like it will slice 8.5 inches long, 5-3/8 inches wide with with food pusher in position.  The food carriage is just over 8 inches wide but the way the food pusher is connected to the carriage causes a loss of about 3 inches.  Should be no problem using without the food pusher until you get withing 5 inches then it can be rotated in place for the rest of the job.  The food pusher tray will not get closer than 1/4 inch away from the blade.  This means you will always have at least a 1/4 inch thick peace at the end of slicing any piece.
The unit recieved did not look like the model on Cabela's website.  The website shows the 1/3 HP unit with a full sized blade guard and only the leading edge exposed.  The unit recived looks like the picture for the 1/4 HP model where the blade guard is only over the middle section.  The blade is 11 inches in diameter which matches the model so they did send the correct model. 

Haven't fired it up yet to check out the power.
Looks like I'll have to do some more pastrami, salami, bacon, .......   :o

Consiglieri

Nice.  What is the stroke? 10 inches?
Consiglieri

Gizmo

Nah, only 8.5 inches.
This picture shows the capacity.  8.5 inches from back of carriage/ pusher to the blade edge and a little over 5 inches wide from blade to feed guard.  The slide tray forward and backward movement have spring loaded stops which is a nice feel.

This is the slicer with the blade guard removed for easy blade cleaning when you don't need to remove the blade.  There are 3 screws that hold the blade on.  It is recommendad to use cut resistant gloves while handling the blade.

This picture shows the 2 nuts that would need to be removed to be able to take the food carriage off the unit for extra cleaning.

Instructions indicate that the unit does not have to be taken apart completely for cleaning.  My jury is out on that one until I start using it for jerky and bacon.  For sausage, deli meats and cheese, I can see how the quick clean up is all that would be required.

LilSmoker

That's a very nice piece of kit Giz, looks like it can easily handle all your slicing needs

I have a fairly cheap slicer, it does ok for now, but i have my eye on one that i saw recently £350

I suppose as with most things, we get what we pay for, anyway your's is great, and i'm jealous

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes