Quality Slicer

Started by Consiglieri, January 26, 2008, 04:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Quote from: LilSmoker on February 08, 2008, 11:52:41 PM
I have a fairly cheap slicer, it does ok for now, but i have my eye on one that i saw recently £350

I suppose as with most things, we get what we pay for, anyway your's is great, and i'm jealous

I used a Krupps $70 dollar slicer for probably 10 years.  I made it work and put up with the short comings.  This slicer should have less short comings than the Krupps but I think it will have a few that another 200 to 300 dollars would eliminate but for those, I might be able to last another 15 years or so.

On the Krupps, the plastic screw that held on the blade took a ride in the garbage disposer and even though I was able to smooth out most of the damage, it does not hold the blade tightly and therefore the slices vary in thickness.  The thickness control plate was also flimsy so if you pushed on the guard (push the meet against the control plate), it would flex which would also change the slice thickness.  The tray slide moved back far enough that it would move past the thickness control plate which allowed the meat to squeeze out behing the control plate.  When pushing the meat forward, the meat would pinch between the thickness contol plate edge and the food carriage back plate causing you to stop on every slice to tuck the meat back in.  There were also catch areas for the meat underneath the blade on the Krupps plus with the totaly exposed blade spinning the meat around, it would add a considerable amount of time to slicing.  This slicer looks like most of those issue will be taken care of.   ;D  So for me, it should be worth the extra money.  At least that is what I will tell my wife.  I can say that now as she isn't looking.   ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the report. I will need a new slicer soon. The plastic gear (screw) that adjusts the meat thickness is stripped towards the end; which causes the adjustment to widen about 1/4" during slicing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 09, 2008, 02:37:20 AM
Thanks for the report. I will need a new slicer soon. The plastic gear (screw) that adjusts the meat thickness is stripped towards the end; which causes the adjustment to widen about 1/4" during slicing.

Habs: for some models, you can find replacement parts online.  Try and internet search by make/model number.  If it's an old slicer, they may have discontinued parts (either planned obsolescence or for safety reasons).  Or maybe you're looking for a reason to get a new toy?
Consiglieri

Gizmo

The thickness dial on this Chefs Choice is very tight.  Almost too tight. 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Consiglieri on February 09, 2008, 07:34:55 AM

Habs: for some models, you can find replacement parts online.  Try and internet search by make/model number.  If it's an old slicer, they may have discontinued parts (either planned obsolescence or for safety reasons).  Or maybe you're looking for a reason to get a new toy?

You hit the nail on the head. I just learned that my income tax return was just deposited in my account.

Seriously, the slicer doesn't have a name, I got it at a warehouse aution; the type of aution that comes into town and puts up those huge tents. It just says "Food Slicer" on a lable underneath the slicer with the modle and serial numbers.

It looks identicle to the one you bought. You do have a good idea. So I may search on line. I was looking to spend my return on another type of toy. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gizmo

Used the slicer today on the Prime Rib care package from Owrstrich.  Cut the big hunk of meet in half to deli slice.  I slice the meat extremely thin and I could probably go thinner almost cellular level that you could put under a microscope. 

First impression, not perfect.
The food carriage travel forward and reverse was not smooth with the meat on it and while I was slicing.  It would stick.  I believe it is from pressing inward on the handle (pushing meet against the thickness guide) causing the slide to bind.  This may be a habit from my years of using the old Krups slicer.  Hopefully, that is the case and I can make some adjustments to my method.  The carriage travel normally is quite smooth so the short coming here is the fact that it can be tweeked with a little pressure causing it to bind.

While slicing, small pieces of the meat and seasonings were flying off the blade and up into the air.  If the unit would have come with the full blade guard, this issue may have been eliminated. 

The blade can be cleaned quite easily while on the slicer.  The area that food comes in contact with the blade is all accessible safely for cleaning with the blade mounted, the thickness control plate knob set to zero so the plate covers the blade edge, and the blade guard removed (this does not expose the blade edge.

There are 2 areas that pieces of meat collected in that are difficult to clean without removing the blade.  The area between the blade support and the motor support despite having a small acrylic shield, will collect food and is small and hard to push a rag through for adequate cleaning.  The blade housing protecting the far edge of the blade from exposure, is the other area that will collect some food and you cannot clean the area without contacting the blade edge (very small gap between blade edge and actual housing).  It is therefore necessary to remove the blade to clean that area.  While the blade is removed, the 1st area mentioned is easily accessible and cleaned. 

I suspect slicing cheese or other items that don't create small pieces would not require blade dissasembly as indicated in the manual.

I'll contact Cabelas to see about the different blade guard but I suspect it is what it is.

West Coast Kansan

Giz, I have not looked but I think there is an adjustment for the slider part on the bottom side.  May be what you are looking for to smooth out the travel.

Not recommended!  I position the bad boy in the sink and with the sprayer - give it like three short hard blasts for flush out the crumbs.  ::)  No issues so far but you may want to wait for me to ruin mine before you try it   :-[

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on February 12, 2008, 09:19:24 AM
.  ::)  No issues so far but you may want to wait for me to ruin mine before you try it   :-[

Deal  ;D

Gizmo

Called Cabelas this morning on the blade guard.  Got right through.  Service support was kind enough to open a few boxes to verify Chef's Choice had made a product change.  Sure enough all were the same as what I received.  They offered a refund if I was not happy with it.  I plan on taking a piece of plexiglass and heating it up to match the bend of the blade housing then use some velcro to attach it to the back size. 

Have to say I was very impressed with Cabelas customer service.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Consiglieri on February 09, 2008, 07:34:55 AM

Consiglieri;

Thanks again. I took the model number off the slicer and did a search. I found that this slicer is sold under a variety of names. Sausage Maker sells them, so I sent them an email to see if they sell parts or can steer me in the right direction. At the auction I paid $49.00; but I quess you get what you pay for. :)

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1165

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Consiglieri

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 17, 2008, 03:12:54 AM

Thanks again. I took the model number off the slicer and did a search. I found that this slicer is sold under a variety of names. Sausage Maker sells them, so I sent them an email to see if they sell parts or can steer me in the right direction. At the auction I paid $49.00; but I quess you get what you pay for. :)

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1165

My pleasure, Habs; hope it works out for you. 
Consiglieri